Coarse DE Price Point -- Please Read, Vote and/or Comment

Would you pay $40 (free shipping) for 3.5 Gal of coarse DE?

• Nope.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Sure, seems reasonable.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No but I would pre-order for $38 (free shipping)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have not decided for sure but unless I can figure out a way to reduce costs, I likely won't be selling DE. I have a pretty strict rule when it comes to Cost of Good Sold and break-even point (yes among other things I have an accounting minor).

It would not be as much as people are paying for akadama but I would need to charge quite a bit more than pumice to break even. I'm thinking I would need to charge about $40 for a large flat rate, approx 3.5 gallons. (By comparison, Bonsai tonight sells akadama for $42).

Personally, I am a believer in DE and this product is fantastic. I should say the box you would receive will have less than 2% fines which is like buying two bags of Optisorb or Napa. Additionally, it seems to be a darker color.

Here is what I will do. If I get enough interest on this thread, I will put a presale on my website for $38 a box no limit. This price would only be good until the shipment arrives then the price would go up.

This would help me gauge public interest.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ve yet to use it because I can get akadama priced pretty well, is it the same as what American bonsai is selling ? They have it for $45/5 gallons ??

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Americanbonsai.com DE is pretty small. It is comparable to napa8822 in size. Maybe just tad larger.

Also my soil needs are pretty small, at best I would order 1 maybe 2 per year if I got good results.

Last edited:

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Personally I wouldn't. Napa DE is small but it works well enough for me and at 1/4 the price it's still much cheaper even after sifting. It's also easy to obtain with no need to ship. I do wish you luck with it though.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I just don't know at this point. I think it is a good product and I would use it over lava/ pumice or anything else. I have zero knowledge of akadama because I am a cheapskate. I would love to make it available but I would be taking all the capital away from my plant business. I suppose worst case would be I have years of soil. I think if I could presale say... 20 boxes I will do it.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I’ve yet to use it because I can get akadama priced pretty well, is it the same as what American bonsai is selling ? They have it for $45/5 gallons ??
I am guessing they have something like sifted NAPA. Anyone can get 8822 at about $9 a bag but like I mentioned you will lose half to sifting and with NAPA your biggest will be about 1/8th with most >= 1/16th.

The stuff I would be selling is about 90% between 1/4 and 1/8th with 8% between 5/8ths and 1/4 and 2% fines. So it's much higher quality than what is currently available. Honestly, if you wanted the smaller size to mix in, a person could get a bag of Optisorb or just use your other ingredients.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
HANG ON Stop the presses... I effed up on my estimates. It's going to be quite a bit less... :) OOPS! Gonna ask BNut to delete this one and I am going to try again.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m just visually oriented I guess. Do you have a close up photo of this product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom