Coarse?

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
BNuts… I almost felt silly when I started to type this question but it’s kind of an important check. I did verify several dictionaries and the provide ambiguous answers.
To the point… when somebody says “use coarse soil mix” does this mean bigger particles, more rough particles… or maybe both. Trying to make sure I get this right cause depending on which one is right answer soil mix can be dramatically different.

Appreciate clarification.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think when folks say 'rough' in this context they mean it as opposite to fine. So just another way to say large particles/ coarse

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't feel silly. There are many terms that are vague and could use clarifying.

I see the term "coarse" used regularly to mean either large particle size OR rough texture, and people asking for clarification on it all the time. I tend to use it to mean BOTH, and specify if I'm speaking of one over the other.

In bonsai, rougher, more angular particles are generally preferred because they don't compact so much over time and leave more spaces for water to collect while allowing oxygen to move through it freely. If you read any of the older books, they invariably suggest using river sand as substrate, but collected from as far upstream as you can where it's been subjected to less erosion, and is thus more angular and rough.
Keeping this in mind, when I read someone suggesting a more coarse substrate, I tend to assume they mean larger particle size, but then always consider this relative to the texture of the soil I have.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to only mean larger or bigger when I say "coarse potting media" texture can be anything from smooth to rough. In general, coarse starts around 1/2 inch or 1.3 cm, give or take a little, again talking about potting media.

I'm not the ultimate authority on 'official' particle size. If someone else believes coarse starts at a different number, that's fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom