Coast Redwood yamadori

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I collected this tree spring 2010 on private property near Santa Cruz, CA. All the branches have been developed from new buds since that time. My plan is to design it with multiple tops as is often seen in ancient, old growth Coast Redwoods and to do more carving on the dead areas at the top and base. The tree is 39 inches tall and 10 inches across the base.
Paul

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good stuff in just a year! The second apex peeking up on the left is a nice touch...

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like where you're going with this tree Paul! Even though it has relatively little time in training, it looks more like a "Redwood" than most of the Redwood bonsai you see.

Do you think it will be show ready by the time of the 2012 GSBF California native convention?

EDIT- If you haven't seen a Redwood with multiple apexes as Paul is describing, here is a nice link (National Geographic). Besides a Redwood, I think a Hinoki Cypress may be able to pull off this image quite convincingly.

-Tim

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Tim and Brian! I have that National Geographic foldout hanging in my office and look at it every day.
I don't think this will be ready for the convention in 2012.. I am co-chair of that convention and can tell you we have some amazing stuff lined up!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Paul, Nice sequoia. What's the purpose of the mesh wire on the right side of the container?

Ha! I forgot to take it off for the photo. I've got these little G.D. birds (maybe thrashers) that dig the soil out of my pots in the summer so the mesh is the only way to keep them out. They're too fast to ever catch in the act and use the shotgun cure....

Paul

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice! Thank you for the update. Is that a very long chop on the left side of the main trunk?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice! Thank you for the update. Is that a very long chop on the left side of the main trunk?

Before I collected this tree it was 30 - 40 feet tall. When I cut the top off it fell, splitting the stump down the left side. Voila! Instant taper.

Top Bottom