coast redwood

Desertfish

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just dug this up last week. it started as a seed from a tree two houses down about 10 years ago. It was growing to close to my front porch so I cut it back 5 years ago getting read to remove it. Forgot about it and then it started getting to big again and cut it back once more. This was way before i even considered trying to pursue Bonsai.
Now it feels like I hit the jack pot. Its about 4 feet tall with about a 9-10 inch burl. I transferred it to a bag and trimmed a back a bit. Now its sitting in the shade getting its time to recover. It grows like a weed. In a month or so when I see that it is stronger I will move it back to the spot its been and cut back again next year. I have it in a good home made mix of organic soil. Staying with what i know on this one while its training to the pot. Its a beautiful tree I want to take my time with this one. I have another that started about 6 years ago now in a pot and 2 and a half feet tall.

20150906_140736.jpg
This is right after getting out of the ground...

20150906_140807.jpg
The root ball before I cleared away the original soil and rinsed the roots...

20150906_141831.jpg
The burl of the tree before I cover most of it on the soil...

20150906_141950.jpg
The tree in its bag.. If you look to the top right of this picture you can see the Parent tree.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Good luck. You're lucky to live in one of the few areas in the states where they grow well. The drawback is that a majority of the forum does not and I doubt you'll find much species specific input. I hope it does well

Desertfish

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well that is what I'm looking for... growing them in the ground and pots no problem... repairing them for long term Bonsai will be new for me.. I have scoured the net looking for more info... Found some helpful stuff....And I will post my progress taking a lot of notes..I have two in pots right now and working on some starts too.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bob Shimon is the big kahoonah when it comes to Redwoods. He has worked with them for decades and probably has the most extensive collection of them as well as collects and propagates them for sale. More can be read here. Be sure to go to the link. Nearly all the trees in the article belong to Bob.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree. I'm sure you should be able to make a nice bonsai out of it over many years. Worst case scenario and it dies save the burl for a woodworking project.

Desertfish

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Smoke I saw Bob Shimon web page....very interested in it....not sure if its still up and running...looks like last posts where in 2013.....I'm going to stop buy Lone Pine gardens too in Sebasipol to see what they might have???

Top Bottom