Coastal Oak and English Oak

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Really interested in Coastal and English Oaks… prefacing prebonsai and training type growth. Will live outside and winter in a necessary temp dormancy environment. Currently in 5a. Trying to see if the Coastal will thrive in my zone and then if an English is satisfactory with regard to decreasing leaf size. I might just growth for the love them but looking to understand the Quercus line. Something their leaves speaks to me but doing the research to be successful.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have grown both of these trees from plugs I got from the Jonsteen Co several years ago.
The coastal live oak may need some winter protection in 5a, but they do fine here in my Oregon winter, a 9b. Can hit the teens, but rarely and not long duration. They're more sensitive to the summer drought and heat, though.
The English Oaks are are very hardy. No problems with that one anytime of year. The leaves reduce quite nicely with just ramification.
I grew them all in containers the whole period with the intent of using them for forest plantings. I processed five of the live oak last spring and planted them together, doing some major root pruning at that time. One of the five didn't make the transition and perished. Lucky I have another to replace it with next spring. The other four are doing fine this spring, but I want to give them a full recovery before I tear into it again to implant the fifth tree.
I did the English Oaks this spring, with the same major root reduction and planted two twins together in one pot and three that I trained as clumps I planted together in one pot. They're all just putting out their leaves now and looking quite nice.

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have grown both of these trees from plugs I got from the Jonsteen Co several years ago.
The coastal live oak may need some winter protection in 5a, but they do fine here in my Oregon winter, a 9b. Can hit the teens, but rarely and not long duration. They're more sensitive to the summer drought and heat, though.
The English Oaks are are very hardy. No problems with that one anytime of year. The leaves reduce quite nicely with just ramification.
I grew them all in containers the whole period with the intent of using them for forest plantings. I processed five of the live oak last spring and planted them together, doing some major root pruning at that time. One of the five didn't make the transition and perished. Lucky I have another to replace it with next spring. The other four are doing fine this spring, but I want to give them a full recovery before I tear into it again to implant the fifth tree.
I did the English Oaks this spring, with the same major root reduction and planted two twins together in one pot and three that I trained as clumps I planted together in one pot. They're all just putting out their leaves now and looking quite nice.
Excellent. Thank you!

Reaction score
Could you please write a bit more about the hardiness, i.e., did you overwinter them outside, what kind of protection did you use, what temperatures were they exposed to? Thanks!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of my trees winter outdoors. My storage area is the size of a two car garage open to the north with block walls on three sides and an open deck above.
I don't think we got down into the teens this winter, but the low twenties is normal. Lots of rain and a couple of good snowfalls is typical.
The coastal live oak do very well over wintering at that, but can show some yellowing in the hot dry summer here..
The English Oaks are no problems at all in my climate. Go go go!

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@RKatzin received my Coast Live Oak and it has what I believe to be tar spots. :( Have you experienced this with your oaks?

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In other news, the English Oak I got looks great.
image.jpg

Top Bottom