Coastal Redwood in Texas

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Curious if anyone has experience with these trees in Texas or similar area and could share insight on care tips and all. Have the opportunity to possibly get one, but want to make sure it can do well here first.
As far as I can tell, temperate range matches pretty closely, just a lot less humid in Texas than the California coast.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may struggle with it. The native range never extended past the fog belt on the coast. Your summers will probably mean frequent misting and shade.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You may struggle with it. The native range never extended past the fog belt on the coast. Your summers will probably mean frequent misting and shade.
Kinda what I figured, it's unfortunate as these are arguably my favorite tree.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some in Kansas City. They get all droopy during the heat of summer if I don't keep them well watered. They bounce back once they can get a drink. I've yet to burn foliage on mine...unlike my dawn redwoods which will burn if under watered.

When the temps are high, I try to water them at night to let them rehydrate over night when it's cooler. I'll also water and mist them around lunch time.

Mine get full sun dawn until 2ish but then are shaded by the house through the heat of the afternoon.

Top Bottom