Coastal Redwood Informal Upright (Bob Shimon Tree)

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Last year at the REBS show in Oakland, CA, I bought this Coastal Redwood from Bob. Here is how it looked when i bought it (Feb 2019) :

untouched.jpg

I cleaned it up a bit and removed some excess growth and branches I knew i wouldn't use (with potential front) :

cleaned.jpg

I fed it heavily during the year (2019) and let it grow relatively unrestricted (for a redwood). I might have pinched 2-3 times. Here is the result (July 2019) :

growth.jpg

Now that it is late winter / early spring here in the Bay Area, I finally got to prune, wire, and repot. Here is the result (Jan 2020) :

redwoodupright.jpg

Next season I will be far more diligent about pinching to improve ramification and hopefully produce some more branches at the trunk. I'm debating turning the top 1/4 of the tree into a jin since it's not that interesting, but we'll see what it does the rest of the year. Thanks for reading! Would love to hear thoughts.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was at Bobs a year or so ago and had my eye on that one! Glad you picked it up. I have a few from him.

From what Ive found with redwoods, is once repotted (I use 3:1:1) start the branching from scratch unless the branching is unusually perfect. If you remove all the branches to just a trunk, the trunk will explode with new growth.

I cut off all the branches, let it grow all year while cutting the “keep” branches once to start development. Usually its the bottom third of branches. I then remove the 2nd third and 3rd third.
The next year, I let the “keep” branches still grow all year while pruning once- along with the 2nd third. And so on and so on until you have your primary branching set up the tree.

Top Bottom