Coastal Redwood Semi-Cascade (Bob Shimon Tree)

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Got this tree from Bob at the Lake Merritt (Oakland, CA) sale in February. It was an unusual piece given its angle, and the location of all the new growth. Pictures below are from the day they were purchased :
IMG_20190218_111905.jpg

IMG_20190219_103714.jpg

I changed the angle to be more extreme than how it was initially planted, and let it grow out during the year, pinching relatively often.

Here is a picture from July :

IMG_20190727_195555.jpg

I finally started wiring out some branches to see how it would look as a semi-cascade :

IMG_20190926_151248.jpg

Bought a cascade training pot that i will put it in in spring (full akadama) :

IMG_20190926_151354.jpg

Couple of things :

- Still not convinced this is a good idea, or that it looks good. Interested what people think, and if they have any suggestions on design
- The deadwood front and center will obviously need to be carved, but I have 0 experience and tools to carry that out. Hoping someone in my club will help in that regard.

Looking forward to people's thoughts/comments/criticisms!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you want a semicascade, you can tilt it more than that!

I wouldn’t go straight akadama. A mix of equal parts sieved pumice, lava, and akadama would be better.

That pot is too deep. You want one about half that depth. Basically, a square shape. A deep pot will be extremely difficult to repot in the future.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
If you want a semicascade, you can tilt it more than that!

I wouldn’t go straight akadama. A mix of equal parts sieved pumice, lava, and akadama would be better.

That pot is too deep. You want one about half that depth. Basically, a square shape. A deep pot will be extremely difficult to repot in the future.

Using 100% akadama is actually a recommendation from Bob himself, and something I've tested with my other redwoods to great effect.

This was the best cascade training pot I could find :( I agree it is too big but couldn't find anything else. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could find something more suitable?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Using 100% akadama is actually a recommendation from Bob himself, and something I've tested with my other redwoods to great effect.

This was the best cascade training pot I could find :( I agree it is too big but couldn't find anything else. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could find something more suitable?
Bob might have something, Johnny Uchita at Grove Way might, Jonas, there’s lots of people in the Bay Area. Matt Ouwinga on Facebook.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
He told me 2:1:1 for the ones that I bought from him, but I could see a smaller tree in a smaller pot needing 100% akadama

And lowes in the bay area has decent terra cotta cascade style pots, but they are round. They are decent size and have a slight vase style taper.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
He told me 2:1:1 for the ones that I bought from him, but I could see a smaller tree in a smaller pot needing 100% akadama

And lowes in the bay area has decent terra cotta cascade style pots, but they are round. They are decent size and have a slight vase style taper.
From the "care guide" Bob sent me last year :

*Use a good draining soil. A mix of 2 parts akadama, one part each of lava rock and pumice is a good mix or 100% akadama also works well.

Guess we were both right! I'm in San Jose where it is mega dry so 100% makes more sense for my climate

Hermes33

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't have any technical input as I am just starting, however I think the tree is and will be beautiful. Gave me some ideas to consider as I am looking at working with a few redwoods also and have some younger ones I could give a nudge in this direction. Thank you for sharing! (in 2019 lol)

Top Bottom