Coastal Redwood Wintering

Peter Smith

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have several (3) coast redwoods in this rather inhospitable upstate NY climate. I generally let them get exposed to light frosts in the fall, and eventually move them into an unheated mudroom that stays between about 35-45 F most of the winter. From talking to Brent Walston, these trees do get exposed to frosts and occasional freezes in their native environment so I don't worry about the top growth...but I don't think letting the roots freeze is a good idea.

For seedlings, I'd definitely be more cautious for the first winter or two. But I don't have any experience with really small/young ones.
That's encouraging. Ya, I'm planning on being really carefully with them until they're more established. How old were your trees when you first got them?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The oldest one, I've had since 2007, came from Brent as a seedling. I don't know how old it was at the time, gonna guess 2-3 years? But it already had some decent size to it. Doesn't look like he sells them anymore, so I can't confirm the age/size. I was able to get really strong growth on this one for a number of years, to establish a decent size base (4+"). But the last couple of years it has been struggling, the root system seems weak. Maybe this climate is too harsh for it, I don't know.

The other two are much older, collected trees.

Top Bottom