Coastal Redwood - worms & black moss

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello,
I noticed some black/slimy looking moss and after taking it off from the base of my coastal redwood and uncovered two creatures--thin, maybe one inch long worms. Curious if this is something to worry about/a repotting situation? On one hand a worm in soil doesn't strike me as remarkable, on the other . . . where did it come from and is it eating my tree!?

Hopefully unrelated, but two years ago this tree had an intruder that bored into the tree (see last picture here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/coastal-redwood-black-spots-sap.47400/) I never did figure out what it was, but used a needle to kill it, scrape out its path up the tree, and seal it with cut paste.

Appreciate any info/advice,
Thanks,
Rob invader!.jpg

I never

Attachments

• dark moss.jpg
    dark moss.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 44
  • redwood.jpg
    redwood.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 44

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a little red wriggler or something similar. Detritus eater, usually no issue unless your trunk is rotting. Then it will stay in the rotting area chowing down on the rotting bark where the microbes feed. More then likely no issue

Wondering about the black area on the base of your trunk though. Is this just wet, or something else? If its soil and moss up the tree trunk, you might want to scrub this area down to bare wood/bark. I’d use a wet toothbrush to start with.

cheers
DSD sends

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Baby harmless earthsquirm. Tree maybe growing baby burl😊?

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks like a little red wriggler or something similar. Detritus eater, usually no issue unless your trunk is rotting. Then it will stay in the rotting area chowing down on the rotting bark where the microbes feed. More then likely no issue

Wondering about the black area on the base of your trunk though. Is this just wet, or something else? If its soil and moss up the tree trunk, you might want to scrub this area down to bare wood/bark. I’d use a wet toothbrush to start with.

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks for the info/response. The black area is where i removed the moss from the trunk. Will brush the remaining stuff back with a toothbrush, thanks!

Top Bottom