Coastal Redwood

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I picked up this Redwood from Bob and Zach Shimon of Mendocino Coast Bonsai last month at the REBS annual show. I had told myself that I wasn't going to buy another Redwood as I had one before and never was able to get it to cooperate with me. It was in a continual state of decline and I finally put it in the ground to save it's life (I may dig it up next Spring and give it another try). Anyway, after talking with Bob for a while about their needs and how to treat them I decided to give it a go.
I liked the deadwood on this one, it has nice taper, and the primary branches were in the right places. I haven't done anything with it other than feeding it, cleaning up the deadwood a bit, reducing the dead trunk considerably, and removing the basal suckers. I may wire the branches this month but won't do any pruning until Spring.
I think that it has a bright future and could be a nice tree if I'm able to get some ramification in the branches. These tend to bud back to the trunk and drop the branch if not pruned at the right time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_122540.jpg
    IMG_20190907_122540.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20190907_122526.jpg
    IMG_20190907_122526.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20190907_122503.jpg
    IMG_20190907_122503.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 139

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
i love seeing more coastal redwoods on this forum! i got another tree from Bob as well (my 4th, at this point). excited to see how this one progresses

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
*makes suggestive whistles at the tree*

I wish there were more red woods around in the bonsai community, but I do believe they require pretty specific care that limits their "field".

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
*makes suggestive whistles at the tree*

I wish there were more red woods around in the bonsai community, but I do believe they require pretty specific care that limits their "field".
Yeah, their care is somewhat specific, but from what I hear from REBS members who like them they are relatively easy when you get it down. You need to feed them very well and with that their growth is substantial so you need to stay on top of it.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Went to Bobs Garden a while ago and picked up (2) great coastal redwoods from him.

Chatted about bonsai for an hour and he showed me around. He truly is a class act.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, their care is somewhat specific, but from what I hear from REBS members who like them they are relatively easy when you get it down. You need to feed them very well and with that their growth is substantial so you need to stay on top of it.

I find it's tough to keep their foliage under control unless I pinch tips virtually every day during the growing season. And the growing season is 10 months of the year. I have three or four....any more and I feel like I'd be spending all of my time just on the redwoods.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Went to Bobs Garden a while ago and picked up (2) great coastal redwoods from him.

Chatted about bonsai for an hour and he showed me around. He truly is a class act.
Yes, Bob is a good guy. I'd love to get out to his place and see his garden and his stock. I need to plan some bonsai trips to his place and Jim Gremel's.
Post your Redwoods. I'd love to see them.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I find it's tough to keep their foliage under control unless I pinch tips virtually every day during the growing season. And the growing season is 10 months of the year. I have three or four....any more and I feel like I'd be spending all of my time just on the redwoods.
Thanks for the info, Brian. It echoes what I've heard from others. I'd love to see your Redwoods if you'd post them.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I it would depend on how tall you wanted them to be? I would maybe move the closer one down and to the left just alittle to give it more room to grow out.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes, Bob is a good guy. I'd love to get out to his place and see his garden and his stock. I need to plan some bonsai trips to his place and Jim Gremel's.
Post your Redwoods. I'd love to see them.
Yeah I will get some pics later. They are super healthy and just exploding from for burls so a bit of a mess, but I already have designs in mind for both.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm thinking of combining the two groups into one small forest....what do you think?

View attachment 261507
Imho combining them would be a sin. The back tree might be good as a focal point in a forest but it would be a waste for the fore tree. Again, this is my humble opinion.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm thinking of combining the two groups into one small forest....what do you think?

I think combining them into a forest is a great idea. The trunks are rather straight and uninteresting as is (I realize this how Redwoods are in nature). Making this into a forest composition adds interest. I think I’d reduce the deadwood feature and do some carving. It’s a bit large, overpowering, and featureless as is. Doing these things and developing the branches could result in a very nice image. Keep us posted of your progress!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think combining them into a forest is a great idea. The trunks are rather straight and uninteresting as is (I realize this how Redwoods are in nature). Making this into a forest composition adds interest. I think I’d reduce the deadwood feature and do some carving. It’s a bit large, overpowering, and featureless as is. Doing these things and developing the branches could result in a very nice image. Keep us posted of your progress!
Yea i think this is the better way to go, instead of moving the tree. Bring the deadwood down some.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck you guys on the redwoods. I have never been able to keep them in pot culture in the valley. In the ground they do OK here. when the climate is correct for them, and they look all lacy, they are magnificent. If they do grow here in the valley they get all bull dog looking and that ruins the whole redwood image.

DSC_00760038.JPG

DSC_01370137.JPG

DSC_00790041.JPG

DSC_01380138.JPG

DSC_01400140.JPG

DSC_01410141.JPG

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Good luck you guys on the redwoods. I have never been able to keep them in pot culture in the valley. In the ground they do OK here. when the climate is correct for them, and they look all lacy, they are magnificent. If they do grow here in the valley they get all bull dog looking and that ruins the whole redwood image.
Which valley are you referring to?? Also what do you mean by "bull dog looking"

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Al! Yeah, unfortunately they are pretty picky about their climate requirements. This is why they really only grow in a very small region along the CA coast to Southern Oregon. I’m grateful to live in an area where they thrive. Hopefully, now that I’m armed with the care requirements for these guys I’ll be able to do right by them and have a stellar tree in a few years! :)

Top Bottom