Cockspur Hawthorne?

Thelorax

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure exactly what this is, I dug two of them this spring. Used Tony Tickles black bag technique and they both did great. About a week ago the leaves on one started turning brown and dropping. I had it full sun for about two weeks after the leaves hardened off. I put it back in the shade three days ago and have not Seen improvements yet. Any tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6D892776-594F-4419-A2A6-27FB918ABB15.jpeg
    6D892776-594F-4419-A2A6-27FB918ABB15.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 50

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shade won't help!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I have had a similar experience with the black bag technique, unwrapped the tree and some branches died off. This is because the bag keeps the humidity high and the plant pushes lots of shoots then you remove the bag the humidity drops. Then the plants roots can not supply enough water for all the shoots and the plant chooses which branches to keep. Similar to opening the humidity dome on cuttings too quick. Next time I would slowly open the bag bit by bit to give the plant time to adjust. keep it watered and slowly move to full sun over a few weeks, if I was a gambling man I would bet it still makes it. good luck

Thelorax

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks guys! Ill let you know how it goes.

Thelorax

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I actually realized this morning while working under a crab apple, I think that’s what my tree is.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You think it's a crab apple?
Anyhow, I'm not a big fan of black bags. My hawthorns leafed out perfectly without it and did so all over the trunks.

I think the sudden change is what got it. I disagree with sorce on the shade. Shade would be nice right now, for a smooth transition to full sun eventually. Don't rush it! If you put it out in the sun and you see the top leaves go limb within a few hours (do this on weekends or days when you have the time) then just put it back in the shade.

From collection to bonsai pot can take 6 years for conifers. So no worries if a broadleaf takes 2 or 3 years. Health is the priority. Is the issue expanding? If not, then that's good. If it is, lets review its conditions again and see if there's something to improve.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I collected a cockspur hawthorne this year (not sure if THIS is one, though), I chose NOT to use a black bag. I potted it up with collection dirt with a hefty amount of perlite.. in a large container.. I’ll share a picture next time I am down there.

Thelorax

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You think it's a crab apple?
Anyhow, I'm not a big fan of black bags. My hawthorns leafed out perfectly without it and did so all over the trunks.

I think the sudden change is what got it. I disagree with sorce on the shade. Shade would be nice right now, for a smooth transition to full sun eventually. Don't rush it! If you put it out in the sun and you see the top leaves go limb within a few hours (do this on weekends or days when you have the time) then just put it back in the shade.

From collection to bonsai pot can take 6 years for conifers. So no worries if a broadleaf takes 2 or 3 years. Health is the priority. Is the issue expanding? If not, then that's good. If it is, lets review its conditions again and see if there's something to improve.
So, the dieback seems to have stopped. Also it’s not a crab, I was looking at the other tree I collected that I thought was the same specie. I collected them on the same day 50’ from each other and they have the same bark, same thorns. Different leaf.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What I believed to be a Cockspur, identified nude.. turned out to be a Rubus.. a Red Rasberry BUSH..68368CEB-6CFB-4E1B-A1B0-ABFB119A18DD.jpeg

Top Bottom