Cocoa tree Bonsai?

Filippa

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a 19 year old tree, now about 1,2m high, planted from a seed found in Kenya. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is but one person said it might be a cocoa tree. I have searched for info on cocoa trees as bonsai as it is getting too tall and wide to maintain as it grows w gusto, with no luck. Any tips on 1) if cocoa is a good tree to train as bonsai. 2) How to best care for it? It is currently in a very large pot, about 50 cm in diameter and about the same depth and it has been replanted many times to bigger pots to allow it to grow.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a Chocolate tree @ 6 years in a 12" pot. Just about as unsuitable as possible for houseplant or bonsai.

Attachments

• Chocolate tree.jpg
    Chocolate tree.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 46

Filippa

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a Chocolate tree @ 6 years in a 12" pot. Just about as unsuitable as possible for houseplant or bonsai.
Well thanks but if that is a chocolate tree then mine isn't as those leaves are very different to the one on my tree. I'll keep looking.

Filippa

Seedling
Reaction score
The leaves on mine are mat, soft and almost hairy, not at all shiny. The bark is light and nicely structured.

Attachments

• africa1.jpg
    africa1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 29
  • africa2.jpg
    africa2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Africa3.jpg
    Africa3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 12
  • africa4.jpg
    africa4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 11
  • africa5.jpg
    africa5.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 10
  • africa6.jpg
    africa6.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 7
  • africa7.jpg
    africa7.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7
  • africa8.jpg
    africa8.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 7

Filippa

Seedling
Reaction score
Is that a tree you have tried to work, cut or shape?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Almost any woody species can be kept smaller with the methods used in bonsai. It may not be successful from an bonsai aesthetic viewpoint, but bonsai techniques are a specialized form of horticulture that reliably produces dwarfed trees.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is that a tree you have tried to work, cut or shape?
No. It is Cacao Theobroma, I bought it as a show & tell for my grandchildren to grow chocolate beans so I let it run to the size & age necessary to set fruit. It was never happy in my situation.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Almost any woody species can be kept smaller with the methods used in bonsai. It may not be successful from an bonsai aesthetic viewpoint, but bonsai techniques are a specialized form of horticulture that reliably produces dwarfed trees.
Chocolate, like almost all other fruiting/flowering trees bloom on this year's extensions of last year's growth, which means you get to choose whether you want fruit or compactness. And, less foliage equals less woody growth. Can you make one smaller? Yes, for no reason other than you want a small tree with big leaves like many other trees that won't cooperate. You can reduce Norway Maple down to one leaf. It will still be bigger than your hand.

Top Bottom