Cocoa tree readings

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So we are doing research on Cocoa trees and a paper on-line mentions that a fully
grown tree is happy with 3.5% organic in the first 6" of the soil.
Additionally the tap root is about 6' long and it uses side roots of around 15 feet for support.
Tree is anywhere from 50' to 70' tall and about as broad, but shorter in cultivation.

A calculation was done using 15' x 15' x 0.5' of soil and the 3.5 % organic, gave
something like 1 to 28.7.
Using a trowel [ volume ] imagine what 1 part organic to 28.7 inorganic would look
like ?

Using the saying -
We grow our trees for beauty, not produce, or lumber .

Cocoa trees give crops yearly, and can get by on 3.5% organic in the soil.

So after Ground Growing and over sized pot training.
How little organic is needed for a refined tree ?

Boggles the mind.
Good Day
Anthony

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I grow my bonsai in 100% pumice and they have never been happier.

That said... I am glad you brought this up because I have 15 cacao seeds that are germinating and I need to pot them up in the next week :) I was thinking 50% pumice 50% compost... but now I may go 75% pumice :)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I grow my bonsai in 100% pumice and they have never been happier.

That said... I am glad you brought this up because I have 15 cacao seeds that are germinating and I need to pot them up in the next week :) I was thinking 50% pumice 50% compost... but now I may go 75% pumice :)
You grow all of your bonsai in pure pumice? What do you fert with?

Watcha going to do with the cocoa seeds? As in what plans do you have for the trees?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Greg,

the tree reads like a bonsai in the ground - short tap root, and basal roots.
As long as there is no heavy breeze, they can handle a good bit more sun.

There are two experimentals down here, nothing to show.
Just shifting to a large pot saucer and let us see.

Good luck with the germination, a pod is supposed to have 90 % germination [ out of 40 something seeds.]
in two weeks.

Ono now Joe is going to try Cocoa.:)
Let me know when you get to Chocolate:);)

Mazo Mazo - see the lead singer of Yes's cd.

Good Day
Anthony

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Greg,

the tree reads like a bonsai in the ground - short tap root, and basal roots.
As long as there is no heavy breeze, they can handle a good bit more sun.

There are two experimentals down here, nothing to show.
Just shifting to a large pot saucer and let us see.

Good luck with the germination, a pod is supposed to have 90 % germination [ out of 40 something seeds.]
in two weeks.

Ono now Joe is going to try Cocoa.:)
Let me know when you get to Chocolate:);)

Mazo Mazo - see the lead singer of Yes's cd.

Good Day
Anthony
Hi Anthony, thanks for bringing up cacao. I have a little one thats supposed to have white fruit. Its a foot tall more or less. Should I treat it in any special way? Its in its nursery bag still and I was thinking of planting it when the moon is right (three days before full, five after) but Ive been thinking about my clay soil and maybe it needs amending. How should I go about it? I can use gardening soil or gravel or orchid mix, bonsai mix and cactus mix in bags premade. All the bagged stuff drains fast. The garden stuff is slower to dry out. I wanted it for fruit. Do you bonsai them? I can get more for two dollars if there ok for bonsai, I just thought the leaves are pretty huge. Your right about them germanating very well. Ive seen them being planted and later. They are easy here anyway. I bought the white kind but yellow is easy to get.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric,

we are just goofing around with a plant or two. The real research is into planting out a few acres in North Trinidad.
The soil there is broken stone, drains well and looking at the % of compost needed to keep the soil fertile.

As a Bonsai - ?????? - needs freely draining soil, but if they are growing around you in clay, see what happens.
Should be great in a flat shallow container.
Not much help - apologies.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
I am confused... are we talking about Cocoa plant that you chew the leaves, and make cocaine from, or the Cocao plant that one produces chocolate?

Reason for asking is Antony said one and Bnut said the other.

Reaction score
Would be fun to grow your own chocolate bars :)
Too bad it's a tropical and hard to get by here, but maybe one day...

I was thinking of planting it when the moon is right (three days before full, five after)

Weird question, but what difference would that make? I'd guess it doesn't matter, but maybe I'm surprised :)

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would be fun to grow your own chocolate bars :)
Too bad it's a tropical and hard to get by here, but maybe one day...

Weird question, but what difference would that make? I'd guess it doesn't matter, but maybe I'm surprised :)
Heres the thing about the moon. All the locals do their planting and take cuttings and transplant during that time. As a fisherman all my life, I understand how the moon affects water. The locals claim its best when the tide is high at the coast. They say it helps the trees and plants absorb more, I guess because its pulling water in easier. Ive noticed that stranglers collected at that time do better. Maybe theres nothing to it. But its seems to be true to me. Besides, when in Rome.... Maybe its something we dont know about but we should. Someone good at scientific experiments should try to figure it out. Ive been told for example bananas planted at the wrong time wont produce. And cuttings wont root or not as many. Since I can do these things whenever, lately Ive paid more attension and I feel like theres something to it. Maybe others in Latin countries have heard the same, all the CR "ticos" fallow this rule pretty strictly. Should we? Lets find out.
Ive met people who laugh at me for planting at other times. Theres a word- minguante or something like that for this time.
Anthony, my test trees in aquaponics look great after a week, not a leaf lost or discolored. So maybe its going to work despite the nay sayers.. I love it when that happens! Take it easy.

Filippa

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry to barge into you cocoa thread. Does any of you train them as bonsai? I am asking because I have what someone told me is a cocoa tree planted from seed back in 2000 and it is now getting too big for my home environment and I am considering trimming it down and putting it is a training pot.

Top Bottom