Coconut Bonsai how to Video

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Just saw this on You Tube.

I found it fascinating. The end results, those coconut seedlings are dwarfed. Notice how short the trunks are. Seedling coconuts reach for the sky left to their own devices. This is not because of the fancy cleaning and polishing of the nut shell. Towards the end of the video, you see him use an exacto knife to remove the bracts, or protective sheaths of the emerging new growth. I believe it is this sheath removal that "dwarfs" the internode length of the coconut seedling. This is very similar to the sheath removal technique used to shorten internodes for bamboo bonsai. The technique is outlined in the chapter in Bonsai Techniques II by John Naka. I did attempt the sheath removal technique on my bamboo. It works, but the patient died. I don't have a bamboo bonsai to show you at this moment. However, I was struck by the similarity to the bamboo technique that this gentleman used on his coconut seedlings.

This technique might be useful for dwarfing palms in general? Speculation on my part, but if someone out there has an interest in dwarfing palms, this might be something to experiment with.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you think he used under the moss ... just loose mud perhaps? Interesting technique.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Now, if someone could figure out how to do this with cycad "palms", that would be awesome.

Reactions: GGB

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Now, if someone could figure out how to do this with cycad "palms", that would be awesome.

I have a sago that is at least 20 years old now in a bonsai pot, it seems to get dwarf fronds on it from just being root bound in the pot. The fronds are 10 - 12 inches at most. They vary in size year to year (I cut them off each spring), but are rarely over 12 inches.

Top Bottom