Coffee/Ammonia Fertilizer

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
There's actually quite a bit of information regarding the use of coffee grounds as a fertilizer (it seems to have a rather low NPK value), it seems to be rather popular for those who like to make their own composts and tannic acid is certainly no deteriment.

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There's actually quite a bit of information regarding the use of coffee grounds as a fertilizer (it seems to have a rather low NPK value), it seems to be rather popular for those who like to make their own composts and tannic acid is certainly no deteriment.

Thank you, John. I do mix coffee grounds in with soil as well, the amount depending on what I'm planting.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
As for "peeing in the pot"...there's some very interesting studies and applications for the recycling of urine, human and animal, into fertilizers, not that I'm advocating "peeing in the pot."

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
As for "peeing in the pot"...there's some very interesting studies and applications for the recycling of urine, human and animal, into fertilizers, not that I'm advocating "peeing in the pot."

I'd like to add to that. If you see "ureal nitrogen" or "urea" in fertilizer, it could be from pee (or it might not be). Urea is a common ingredient in fertilizers from Miracle Gro.

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Does anyone remember when I said I could start to see results from using this fertilizer within a couple days? Remember how I took a picture of my elm seedlings right after giving them a few drops of it? The attached images (the one from a couple days ago and one I just took) were taken 49.5 hours apart.

All of the seedlings in these pictures have grown at least a little bit, but most of them haven't grown very much. However, the two in particular that have grown the most are the one in the center and the one to the right of center. These two are the seedlings I identified before as being only slightly younger than those other four I identified before as being the only four to get fertilizer last time I fertilized. Specifically, the one to the right of center is showing cupping of its true leaves, indicating that its growth rate had slowed enough that the leaves were starting to harden at their previous size. These are seedlings that were storing sugar and waiting for more nitrogen to become available. At the time of the second picture, they've obviously gotten some of the nitrogen they needed.

The nitrogen in ammonia may not be available to plants immediately, but it really doesn't take very long.

Attachments

• ElmSeedlings.jpg
    ElmSeedlings.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 12
  • ElmSeedlings2.jpg
    ElmSeedlings2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 13

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You need sturdier seedlings for proving the grounds,i suggest aesculus.

Of course what's right for one may be unsuitable for another,they may be choosy and prefer the milder smoother to a rich roast.

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You need sturdier seedlings for proving the grounds,i suggest aesculus.

Of course what's right for one may be unsuitable for another,they may be choosy and prefer the milder smoother to a rich roast.

Heh, that was pretty good.

Actually, in all seriousness, I think you could grow Chinese Elm in at least 10% to 15% coffee grounds. I've used 20% or more spent grounds in potting mix before, mixed with some bone meal to neutralize some of the acidity. Attached are a couple pictures taken of a 1 year rooted cutting of Lagerstroemia indica 'Dynamite'.

The only downside was that it didn't drain well enough. I repotted it this Spring to fix that and soon after I lost one of them. (repotting + late unexpected frost = very bad) The one that's left isn't peppy like it was last year. I think it really liked having all the coffee grounds.

Attachments

• DynamiteRed1.JPG
    DynamiteRed1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DynamiteRed2.JPG
    DynamiteRed2.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DynamiteRed3.JPG
    DynamiteRed3.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DynamiteRed4.JPG
    DynamiteRed4.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 7

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, you can grow chinese elm in ground glass--doesn't make it a terrific growth medium.

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Alright, rockm, if you want me to be more specific, I think Chinese elm could thrive in a soil mix made of 10% to 15% spent coffee grounds. However, I will not claim it is the best growing medium.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright, rockm, if you want me to be more specific, I think Chinese elm could thrive in a soil mix made of 10% to 15% spent coffee grounds. However, I will not claim it is the best growing medium.

Dave, a thread like this will perpetuate itself adnausim due to the fact that the experimenting is being done in reverse. Trying to get people to understand why you are doing this will be hard to do.

For instance we had jin fluid. Now we don't. People will begin the experimentation on how to come up with a reliable substitute using what ever means necessary. Concoctions using old hairspray cans as well as dried mayonaise flakes rehydrated in windshield washing fluid may be used in the near future. In the mean time....a once a year trip to the big box store or local nursery will have at leats a dozen prepared fertilizers with majors, minors, humates and micorriziah all ready in the box. Just open and sprinkle! There is no need to try and reinvent the wheel here.

So while you can do it.....based on replies here, you are definately in a minority and spend nearly as much time defending rather than passing along useful information.

From one guy who has spent nearly a decade on fertilizing with new products, good Luck. Al

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Dave, a thread like this will perpetuate itself adnausim due to the fact that the experimenting is being done in reverse. Trying to get people to understand why you are doing this will be hard to do.

For instance we had jin fluid. Now we don't. People will begin the experimentation on how to come up with a reliable substitute using what ever means necessary. Concoctions using old hairspray cans as well as dried mayonaise flakes rehydrated in windshield washing fluid may be used in the near future. In the mean time....a once a year trip to the big box store or local nursery will have at leats a dozen prepared fertilizers with majors, minors, humates and micorriziah all ready in the box. Just open and sprinkle! There is no need to try and reinvent the wheel here.

So while you can do it.....based on replies here, you are definately in a minority and spend nearly as much time defending rather than passing along useful information.

From one guy who has spent nearly a decade on fertilizing with new products, good Luck. Al

Al, I don't really care if I'm in a minority here. I knew I would be when I made this thread. But even if I'm part of a minority, there's nothing wrong with sharing what I'm doing. This kind of simple, free, and open communication doesn't hurt you or anyone else here. Am I even making everyone else here read about this? Certainly not. You could have stopped reading at the first post.

I'm the sort of person who recycles. I save my cans, plastic bottles, and cardboard, because that's all I can recycle here in town. However, when I have something else that I can reuse, I prefer to reuse it. If I already have old brewed coffee, which I would otherwise pour down the sink, or spent grounds, which would otherwise end up filling a landfill, I would prefer to reuse those things than to throw them away and buy a product to fill that need. I'm sure there are others (and yes, maybe it's a minority) here who like to be made aware of this kind of idea. This is here for them and there's nothing wrong with that.

I didn't come here damning everyone for being wasteful, telling everyone else that this is the way they should do it from now on. Do things your own way; that's your right, and it's a fine solution. Contrary to what you might think, I completely understand the merit behind the majority point of view. But I don't agree that I should silence myself simply because what I wish to discuss doesn't fit with the groupthink of the community.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In all honesty Dave, if you took your coffee and just poured it on the ground, your tree would be just as healthy.

Top Bottom