Coffee Grounds

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi All,

Anyone have experience in using spent coffee grounds? My current living situation does not allow me to create a compost and throwing down the drain is a no-no(let's not get off topic :rolleyes:)

Thoughts?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Apartment dweller? I have a compost bin on my balcony. I use one of those huge plastic storage bins, and throw anything from old leaves to fruit/veggie scraps, shredded newpaper, old tea bags, etc. Anyways...

As far as putting straight grounds on my bonsai... I'd be afraid that the grounds would pack down onto the soil restricting water flow, and aeration of roots. Almost reminds me of using un-sieved soil before repotting a tree. Maybe if the grounds were made into a solidified cake, and used in those fertilizer cups, that may be better. Or if the spent grounds could be used to make another liquid feed.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldnt use them. They retain too much water and I may be too acidic for some trees.

You dont need to make compost. For trees that need a bit more moisture, you can put some top soil in the mix if they really need it. If youre in a hot climate (Texas, So Cali), you might need it.

Some trees like a little more acidic conditions so you can add a bit of peat moss. However most trees will do best in a well draining soil that does not hold water. Staying moist for a day or two is fine but not sopping wet.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used coffee grounds way back when until I realized its easier to use nitrogen ferts. Coffee grounds have to be composted first before use or they will cake up your soil not letting water through. They are a high nitrogen fert but so is Miracle Grow, the latter being far easier to work with.

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've added some (maybe 1%) in my Azalea soil mix and didn't see any bad effects when I repotted.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I sprinkle coffee grounds around my garden plants. Apparently it's supposed to help with slugs.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use coffee grounds to compost the pine bark I use as a soil component, but I would not use it in a pot. It is high in nitrogen and a fair amount uncomposted would probably burn the roots of a potted plant. But for compost, it is nice because you don't have to worry about seeds. Composted coffee grounds are too small, in my opinion.

josh797

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone have experience in using spent coffee grounds? My current living situation does not allow me to create a compost and throwing down the drain is a no-no(let's not get off topic :rolleyes:)

Thoughts?
I worked in a coffee shop for 7 years, if you have a coffee grinder. you can grind your beans on a very course setting, that will help the water flow. but don't add a whole lot of coffee to your plant, coffee is pretty acidic for vegitation. unless your adding it to tomato plants.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I used to grow mushrooms in coffee grounds. Buy some culture online an sepparate them into bags, watch the fungus cultivate in the bag then water and cut some holes in it to let the mushrooms out

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i throw my grounds into my grow out bed. 95% of my trees love acidic soil so I have never worried about it. Plus if you look up the ph of coffee it's pretty neutral, sometimes it's even alkaline. More often it is acidic and that's what I'm banking on. Although... don't know if I'd put it directly in my pots without decomposing for a while

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would get some from Starbucks and put in my raised vegetable garden beds. Everything grew great.
Been a few years since I have gotten any. Kind of a hassle going and finding out some has already beaten you to it.
I wouldn’t go to Starbucks for anything else.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi All,

Thoughts?

that’s a unique question...

I throw rhinds, onions discardments, old potatoes, egg shells, all them leftover chopping whatever into the brush or the edge of the tree line..I’ve seen grounds in flower beds and gardens since I was a kid..

if you live in the city, and thinking as trying to be a steward of the environment, grounds would be better put in the toilet than in a large plastic bag

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you want to do indoor composting, take a look at a bokashi system!
As for coffee grounds, look up why there is no vegetation around coffee trees. They use the same tricks as wallnuts to kill all vegetation in the viscinity.
Spent grounds are good for fungi, but not always that good for plants. Once decomposed, it should be safe.

Top Bottom