Coiled Ficus Microcarpa

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wow ..Thats a million dollar Nebari.

Thanks. Once I turned the tree upright I made a horizontal cut and used Clonex gel in the cut.

September 2017:
img_3287-1.jpg
Some minor inosculation (fusing) occurring ...
img_3288-1.jpg

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
December 2017:
img_4909.jpg
As the leader wound up and the radius became smaller, I had to wrap earlier while it was still flexible. I originally attached the trunk to the wooden cone with small nails, and eventually started using crazy glue and tape.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Observations:
  1. I really thought I’d have more fusing five years in, especially with the pressure from the coils;
  2. I used this method because I wanted the same genes instead of using random seedlings with different leaf shapes and sizes. Part of me wonders if all Ficus microcarpa in the USA are clones since there isn’t a whole lot of sexual reproduction because of missing pollinators (though I’ve read of some instances);
  3. The branches are there to try to speed up the fusing, and not intended as the final branches. I might start working on permanent branching this summer;
  4. Not sure if I’ve seen anyone else ever do a coiled tree like this—let me know if you are aware of another; &
  5. Holy $hit—it’s been FIVE YEARS?

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree, I would have thought that in the mild climate of Launa Beach CA, you would have had more fusing.

But none the less this is interesting. I've never seen another coiled tree, as far as I know, you are "da first". Boldly going where no man has gone before. LOL

I like it as an experiment. Keep it going. I bet by 10 years, it will have more fully fused and begun really smoothing out.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks, Leo. I almost planted it in a raised garden bed today to speed things up, but didn’t want the roots to get out of hand.

I agree—part of my love for bonsai is the confluence of art and science. I never intended for this to be a beauty ... just an experiment. We’ll keep it going!

I wonder if I can get the roots to fuse like an Ebihara ... melted cheese ... hmmmmmmm.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Forgetting for a second what's going on above the soil with this, those roots look fantastic too.

What is your vision for the "final" branches and canopy?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice dedication.

Madonna wants her bra back!

Sorce

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Forgetting for a second what's going on above the soil with this, those roots look fantastic too.

What is your vision for the "final" branches and canopy?

I don’t really know. Any ideas?

3573B6DF-0D02-4C96-9E3C-EB9A7B9B0A39.jpeg

Nice dedication.

Madonna wants her bra back!

Sorce

Ha—good call:

64F94432-F29C-45B5-9FE4-A1C2F521B073.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The inside will look dope as hell!

Sorce

Maybe consider making some cuts to reveal the inside once everything is fused to your satisfaction? Right now I think you run the risk of a sumo trunk that is too regular, symmetrical.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coming to think of it....

Branches are going to make this look even more odd.

There will be nowhere for traditional trunk thickening to thicken.

I think you MUST ish..start inducing fusion, which can lead to the remedy, a beginning to vertical "tubes".

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think a single trunk heading up and off to one side would look good. If you put branches up and down the slope of the cone, you will end up hiding the cone. Unless you keep the branches thin, so it is easy to see through them.

Top Bottom