Colander Questions

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Colander, pond basket or some other screen sided container there is nothing like having bonsai friendly root systems that only need to be trimmed to size and put into the bonsai pot. If this is done correctly the density of the fine roots become a problem in and of themselves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike....that was, odd as it may be now.....your hooey!

I just reproduced it!

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just repotted two Larix kaempferi and Ilex crenata seedlings into 12.5" wide plastic wash baskets that I purchased from Amazon. The soil mix is about 60 percent diatomaceous earth, 30 percent pumice, and 10 percent old soil. The pots are resting on top of a wooden bench and I do not plan to let the roots grow out into the ground.

qzdEoQSm.jpg
vNjWVhKm.jpg

I keep a running journal and photo log of my pre-bonsai progress so I should have some decent findings to report in the future.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So colanders seem pretty good... but why wouldnt one use them?? The 4x watering a day seems a bit wacko!
But is it that beneficious for trees that don't suffer with root transplants like maples?

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Japanese Larch has been showing significant signs of stress. I haven’t been able to water it as much as it needs.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So colanders seem pretty good... but why wouldnt one use them?? The 4x watering a day seems a bit wacko!
But is it that beneficious for trees that don't suffer with root transplants like maples?

I only water once a day. In a collander I can use 100% diatomaceous earth. Stays moister longer that way. It's all in what one puts in that collander Max.

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've put probably 6-8 younger trees in colanders so far this year and aside from some insane winds that came through and blew one of my trees sideways in the pot, all the trees seem to be fine so far, including the blown over one. I water once every other day and only one tree has suffered sun burn to the leaves and I think that was more my fault for putting it in SoCal full sun when it shouldn't be.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I only water once a day. In a collander I can use 100% diatomaceous earth. Stays moister longer that way. It's all in what one puts in that collander Max.
But will a Maple, that it doesn't really mind if it has roots disturbed (at the right time), benefit from this? Or an azalea that already has pure fibrous roots?
I am thinking in using more pine bark while in colanders (akadama unavailable).

Reaction score
Anyone ever try a bougainvillea in a colander? I'm using a mix of pine bark (~20%), lava rock, and pumice. The bougie is exploding with growth, but I only end up watering once a week despite our rampant heat waves. I'm wondering if the soil isn't drying out quickly enough.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My Japanese Larch has been showing significant signs of stress. I haven’t been able to water it as much as it needs.
I'm replying late, but you could put some spaghnum moss on the soil surface. Last year, I put a colander inside an empty nursery pot. When it's cooler in the fall, you could just remove the tree and colander from the pot. You could also move to a spot with less hours of sun.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone ever try a bougainvillea in a colander? I'm using a mix of pine bark (~20%), lava rock, and pumice. The bougie is exploding with growth, but I only end up watering once a week despite our rampant heat waves. I'm wondering if the soil isn't drying out quickly enough.

Sounds healthy! If it is....Hell with it!
But I don't know Bougie from my bungie!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

You really answered your own question; Larches do not like being dry or will they tolerate being dry like a Pine.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You really answered your own question; Larches do not like being dry or will they tolerate being dry like a Pine.
Yep. I was more stating than asking. The tree is doing much better now that it gets water at least daily :)

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
I've heard opinions on both sides of the colander debate from people whose opinions I value.
I started using some last year for my own experience. Two similarly sized shimps, put one in the ground, one in a colander. Some small pines are in colanders as well. They all seem healthy and roots were coming out the colanders by the end of the season. We'll see how they all fare this year as they have now had the chance to settle in for a year. I have a dozen more colanders i'll put to use.

Ground growing is great, and although not something I'll stop doing, the mobility of something in a basket is a big advantage to me.

Hi Nybonsai12, do you have any updates on the growth rates of the colander and ground grown trees? I am very new to bonsai, barely begun actually. Luckily, I strated with a guava tree with great trunk, taper and roots that could take unbelieveable abuse. Its repotted, minimal wiring and showing good growth. I am working on Durantas now, tropical trees with beautiful foliage, along with some well hidden thorns, I digress.

Point is, I have a few sticks in pots. I desperately need them to put on some weight....bonsai fastest.

Thanks in advance

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Nybonsai12, do you have any updates on the growth rates of the colander and ground grown trees? I am very new to bonsai, barely begun actually. Luckily, I strated with a guava tree with great trunk, taper and roots that could take unbelieveable abuse. Its repotted, minimal wiring and showing good growth. I am working on Durantas now, tropical trees with beautiful foliage, along with some well hidden thorns, I digress.

Point is, I have a few sticks in pots. I desperately need them to put on some weight....bonsai fastest.

Thanks in advance

Ground grown is faster. Less control over root growth but still faster. If it’s bulking up you want, put it in the ground..

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply Nybonsai12. I am planning to try planting in colander then into the ground, and another straight into the ground. Will post results.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but its what I do lol

I understand the benefits of a colander, I just wanted to ask about the benefit of different substrates in the colander. Everyone is using their bonsai mix, but what about using a potting soil, perlite, manure compost mix? I assume you'll still get the benefits of air pruning, but was just wondering if the extra nutrients in that soil would be worth it?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone is using their bonsai mix, but what about using a potting soil, perlite, manure compost mix
One of the benefits is air flow through the substrate not sure that mixture would facilitate that. I have straight pumice in a pond basket. I also have them with straight 8822. I even have them with straight DE from @milehigh_7 . I love the basket/colander.

Top Bottom