Colanders

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, reading up on the miracle of the plastic colander, I'm sold.

But, I have a few technical questions:

I am mostly trying to develop shohin sized trees.

I have wet winters, hot dry summers. Zone 8a with summer highs in the upper 90's with a few triple digit days (32C +)

I use a 1:1:1 DE : pumice : scoria 1/8"-1/4" substrate

should I adjust my soil content/ratios/particle size in order to avoid watering more than once a day when I switch to colanders?

I assume additional wind protection is order? suggestions?

Winters here generally are between freezing and the low 50's (0-10 C)

Moving from pots to colanders, are there any gotchas to consider?

This is new territory for me and I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't know about this sooner, so any tips appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can probably skip the Scoria
And water once a day without additional wind protection.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/those-pot-materials.18202/

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/those-pot-materials.18202/

For reading, not to stop further conversation!

You gotta water into the sides, especially after July when it's chock full of roots!

Don't assume a soil particle smaller, or which can break down to smaller than the holes won't fall out.... It will.
And it is equivalent to....nothing...
Nothing sucks as bad! Use a screen\mesh.

Use colanders an inch or 2 wider than the intended final pot.

Use UV safe.

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The colander -----

[1] Can make your roots more efficient

[2] If used in ground growing makes for easy and efficient removal without disturbing the tree.
[ do you need to read the AUSbonsai article ? ]

[3] If you place a colander within a larger one, you can extend the growing phase, without
having to change the soil in the first colander [ if you have limited space for example ]

I am not sure, unless the trees you are growing thickens in a pot, if the colander can do much else.

We have trees in colanders as test plants, they are healthy, but no trunk thickening.
Good Day
Anthony

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I understand the concern about watering but if you plan on an existance with these trees in your climate known for an abundance of water anyway, and you want to water only once a day you may have an unsolvable problem. Usually compromises for issues in this direction results in failure.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Vance. I'm in a similar environment, south of you "a bit". I recommend designing your soil mix for your wet winters (very free draining) and then finding a way to supplement your watering in your dry summers. Perhaps an automatic watering system when you can't hand water?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't it be simpler if he just went to a club and asked the experienced members how they managed?

I can see problems growing in colanders, and then shifting with no growing experience, to bonsai
pots.
Good Day
Anthony

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wouldn't it be simpler if he just went to a club and asked the experienced members how they managed?

I can see problems growing in colanders, and then shifting with no growing experience, to bonsai
pots.
Good Day
Anthony
Going from colanders to bonsai pots is at least a three season transition. By the time you are ready to make the transfer you should have a reasonable idea of what is going on and what you are doing. Agreed; a local club would be very valuable to the transition. With anything unless I get a lot of rain I water twice a day.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Yes, I completely agree. Unfortunately at the moment I have limited availability to participate due to work, so I figured it was worth it to ask here.

Top Bottom