Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read there are crepe myrtle / Lagerstroemia indica that were bred for Zone 5. I would like to add a few to my growing field, they have such pretty bark. Please tell me anything you know about this, especially if you have first hand experience

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure if you have seen this site, it's American but definitely shows a number of cold hardy cultivars.

With the names in hand from there you can probably seek out some European stockist.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a number of cultivars of Lagerstroemia indica/fauriei hybrids but could not find a good seller in Europe

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lagerstroemia indica x fauriei 'Natchez' has made it through this (admittedly mild) Winter unfazed. The 'Sioux' cuttings have all died. The 'Sioux' motherplant has signs of life. It wasnt a fair comparison since the former is 2 or 3 years older than the later. Theres a reasonable hope that strong plants will overcome a normal or rough Winter without issues with no protection.
I think low, but above freezing temperatures recently have caused the shoots to droop, though. I dont think Lagerstroemia in leaf appreciate low temps. I expect full recovery.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine all made if through the winter, but they were in an unheated, detached garage. They have all leafed out earlier than usual.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Natchez and Sioux are flowering.
I also found new info for my next aquisition:

"The Dynamite Crape Myrtle makes an explosion of red when the crimson flower buds open to show cherry-red blossoms. Even the young spring foliage is red and the plant will grow between 10 and 20 feet tall. Dr. Whitcomb was especially interested in developing Crape Myrtles for colder areas and this plant is hardy to minus 5°F, making it hardy right into zone 6 and bringing Crape Myrtles into the gardens of millions more happy gardeners. Even in colder areas, although the branches will be damaged, the tree will come back after pruning to make a spectacular bush around 6 feet tall, covered in flowers from mid-summer to the arrival of frost. This tree was introduced in 1998."

"Since Crape Myrtles flower on new shoots they can be just as prolific flowering in colder areas, but they will stay smaller than the sizes listed for them. For example the Dynamite Crape Myrtle will grow up to 20 feet in a warm region, but rarely reach more than 6 feet in colder areas. The Pink Velour Crape Myrtle will be 10 feet in warm areas, but only 5 or 6 feet tall in colder regions. These two varieties were especially produced for colder climates and are the number one choice for Crape Myrtles if you live in zone 6 or warmer parts of zone 5. The Muskogee Crape Myrtle is another variety that is hardy and will re-sprout and flower well, while staying much smaller than its normal size."

Good enough for me to try Dynam*te

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update
All my crapes (including D°namyte) died or were damaged, and never woke up. I have demonstrated to my own satisfaction that this genus is not suitable for bonsai in Zone 6 if youre unwilling to give it significant protection.
Additionally, they have ugly branching habits.
Will stay away from them.

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been growing lagerstroemia Indica "dwarf royalty" in zone 6 for 3 years. It has been completely frozen solid on multiple occasions, even surviving 2 weeks of zero degree weather in a cold frame with the pot buried. They are listed as zone 7 tolerance.

Ive personally not had any issues with anything sold at the garden centers in my area. St. Louis metropolitan.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have been growing lagerstroemia Indica "dwarf royalty" in zone 6 for 3 years. It has been completely frozen solid on multiple occasions, even surviving 2 weeks of zero degree weather in a cold frame with the pot buried. They are listed as zone 7 tolerance.

Ive personally not had any issues with anything sold at the garden centers in my area. St. Louis metropolitan.
I am only about 45 minutes away from you. We have crapes in the landscape but I keep mine in pots in an unheated, detached garage for the winter.

Top Bottom