cold hardy flowering trees?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Any recommendation for very cold hardy flowering trees? I already have apples and will be trying a cherry next spring. Killed my fair share of azaleas and a dwarf rhododendron.

Would love something like a crepe myrtle but they just won't make it here. The USDA has my zone as a 6 but its more like a 5, really bad winters can even bring it down to 4.

Hoping someone might know of a species I'm not familiar with.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are a lot of shrubs that are super cold hardy (I'm assuming that's the issue for you) that have wonderful flowering qualities.
Cotoneaster Pyracantha viburnum spirea carolina snowbell potentilla mini roses kousa dogwood ilex (not sure if all of these are good to zone 4, but it's a start)
I could go on....
Just google flowering shrubs that are hardy in your area, bet you can find some things that you're not thinking about.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chinese quince might be ok with that.

Mine start making flowers in March while still in the cold frame.

Are you overwintering outside or do you have a garage or shed you can use?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
There are a lot of shrubs that are super cold hardy (I'm assuming that's the issue for you) that have wonderful flowering qualities.
Cotoneaster Pyracantha viburnum spirea carolina snowbell potentilla mini roses kousa dogwood ilex (not sure if all of these are good to zone 4, but it's a start)
I could go on....
Just google flowering shrubs that are hardy in your area, bet you can find some things that you're not thinking about.

Thank you. I'm not overly fond of the small clumps of flowers most of those have but I do really like the carolina snowbell and the kousa dog, neither which I'm familiar with.

Chinese quince might be ok with that.

Mine start making flowers in March while still in the cold frame.

Are you overwintering outside or do you have a garage or shed you can use?

I overwinter outside with minimal protection. I keep them out of the wind and rely on snow for insulation. I'll have to look into the Chinese quince. We have Japanease here but I've not had very good luck with it.

EDIT: I think the quince I have here is actually Chinese. Maybe I should look into a Japanese instead.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Certain crab apple cultivars for sure. Japanese apricot, Ume, is actually very cold hardy, though you may be pushing it in zone 4.
Have crabs, plan on getting more as they are a favorite.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zone 4 with minimal protection limits what you will be able to keep. A rule of thumb -- You have to subtract a zone or so from most species' hardiness because of bonsai's containerization.

Apples are probably the most reliable.
Japanese quince is extremely hardy and another reliable one.

Carolina snowbell is probably a no-go. Chinese quince (which is a tree. The Japanese species is more of a bush) is marginal, even though it's hardy to Zone 5.

Ume is great, but good luck finding them. They're not all that common. Mail order is the way to get them as saplings.

Bottom line I'd say look at what your local landscape nurseries offer. They are the most reliable barometer of what can stand your winters.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just looked it up, Chinese quince is only good to zone 6

I get zone 5 on Japanese quince

If you had any sort if garage to put a few plants in, it would expand some of the things you would be able to keep

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Bottom line I'd say look at what your local landscape nurseries offer. They are the most reliable barometer of what can stand your winters.
Unfortunately, our local nurseries aren't that dependable. They consistently sell things that are really iffy if not right out guaranteed to die.

If you had any sort if garage to put a few plants in, it would expand some of the things you would be able to keep

No way DH is going to give up garage space. Best I can do is get them up against a fence out of the wind. I suppose I could put them on the porch but then they wouldn't have any snow insulation.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No way DH is going to give up garage space. Best I can do is get them up against a fence out of the wind. I suppose I could put them on the porch but then they wouldn't have any snow insulation.

How about building a cold frame against the side of your house/garage. The heat from the foundation will help mitigate temperatures some.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Most all pitted fruits can or have a variety that can survive Zone 5 without problem. I am typing a planting guide for them soon as we have had VERY good success using the method/approach I developed here and in New York over the years. I will also include a reliable source I use for specific reasons I will outline. You can grow a bare root fruit tree from a 2 foot whip to a full thick trunked in 2 - 3 seasons... 6 foot if kept trimmed with a 3 - 5 inch base...

Grimmy

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Unfortunately, our local nurseries aren't that dependable. They consistently sell things that are really iffy if not right out guaranteed to die.

Wintering in northern places is a special thing. I am in zone 3 and have seen it all and done most. I find what should be done is highly situational, meaning it depends on what you have for trees, what you have for a property, how much effort you want to expel, and your specific climate(not just zone but reliable snow cover, nature of spring temps/weather etc.). It is likely you can grow and store bonsai well in your climate and many flowering trees will thrive for you there, however, outright hardiness is not the only issue nor is the primary one. I have a few questions: do you live in a house(is it and old house), do you have reliable persistent snow cover, do you have heated outbuildings, is vermin common (voles, mice etc), how many trees do you manage?

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
There are zone 4 hardy Azaleas. Not satsuki, but still pretty.

Wisteria bonsai can be striking. Same with Lilacs.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I do live in a house and its old, over 80 years with a dirt basement. We have a reliable snow cover but it doesn't always get here before freezing temps. No heated out building. We are on a double lot in town and the way the house is build, ever suitable place against the house for a cold frame is also where the snow will slide off the roof.

No vermin issues except for when the mice move into the basement in the fall. Never seen a vole in town and the squirrels are mostly on the outskirts. I'm more likely to have deer or moose come through and nibble trees.

I currently have 15 trees or so but most of them are in nursery pots or grow out flats. The few I have in small pots are things like crabapples and amur maples. Last year I sat all the pots on the ground under a tree. Ended up getting a weird spring with a lot of rain and refreezing. All the pots ended up sitting in at least 2" of ice. The only thing I lost was a nine bark.

Springs are usually cold and wet. I've not had any trouble with drying winds, I'm more likely to have issue with wet feet.

@sparklemotion
I do have a larger yellow azalea that survived last winter with me but its needs to be a bigger tree and I really like a bit smaller, easier for me to manage. Wisteria is one of my favorites, I had one die in a nursery pot last year when I didn't get it in the ground.

I thought about a lilac. I do like them and have a few in the yard. I've been watching a korean variety but its not a very nice looking plant, might just be a waste of time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Have you tried looking at native plant nurseries' websites, or visited one, to get an idea of what's possible?
http://www.northforknativeplants.com/other_containerizedPlants.php

Several flowering trees here--amalanchier is notable, as are the hawthorns and western sand cherry
http://waterthriftyplants.com/plant-category/shrubs-trees-foliage/

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
amalanchier is notable,
good one, I hadn't thought of that one, even though I have several in my landscape, they are wonderful. Good flowers great berries, and wonderful fall color.
Sand cherry are short lived, but the flowers are very fragrant...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Springs are usually cold and wet. I've not had any trouble with drying winds, I'm more likely to have issue with wet feet.

If you cannot improve drainage grow trees that require Full Sun and adjust your planting area(s)... Actually the only way to have any success with many...

Grimmy

Top Bottom