cold storage and care

Acerofspades

Seedling
Reaction score
I am new to this, so please forgive any mistakes.I just put 23 acers(J Maples) in pots and I am concerned about the winter car and storage.I wish to store them in the pots that I have them in.I am open to any good suggestions.

Thank you.

P.S. Did not know what to put in the title box

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
people are going to want to know where you're located, or at least an idea of how cold it gets.

I've successfully stored a maple in a metal garden shed, no windows, and brought it out as the snow melted. I didn't water it or anything while it was dormant. There might be better methods but generally you want it cold enough to keep it dormant throughout its resting season. Some put trees against their house, others in an unheated mud-room. Keep it sheltered from the wind and you should be fine.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Kind of a dumb question but thought it's relevant: Is a greenhouse during the winter suitable?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
(I like your username, BTW.)

Your location is relevant, as Jess alluded, because it gives us a general idea of what your climate is like.

Japanese maples are pretty winter-hardy. Depending on where you are, you may be able to just put them under a cold frame or tuck them into a sheltered area of your garden. They can handle several months with their rootballs frozen.

Protection from wind will be important, since wind both accentuates cold (wind chill) and also desiccates. The fine twigs of your maples won't do well with frequent winter wind.

Evmibo, yes, an unheated greenhouse would be just find for wind protection and for moderating temperature spikes. Unheated: Acer palmatum needs winter dormancy for long-term health.

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I live in Chicago, where it get bitterly cold in the winter. I've been using a freezerless refregirator for my decidious trees. My pines go outside in a cold frame.

Acerofspades

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you too.I live in Akron,Ohio.I have 23 Acers that I am trying to train and care for.I have put one in the ground for some years and just started back to putting them in pots to care and train.I have let about 150 of them get too big.Had to sell.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
question back at you, what kind and size pots.

Water as needed, not really different than summer, except for frequency. Dormant or not a dry tree in the winter dies.

Acerofspades

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you

Will do,some water in winter. must get cold shelter built.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They should be water sparingly during winter. Make sure the soil is kept moist and not allowed to completely dry out but make sure the soil is NOT saturated. What type of shelter do you plan on placing them in over the winter, it might help us give you pointers? I found the unheated garage to work best but that might not be applicable for you due to number of plants.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A frozen pot doesn't need to be watered. For many years, I overwintered the majority of my collection, including tridents and palmatums, in my unnattached garage in usda zone 6 MA. Thanksgiving weekend, they would be placed on the concrete floor, mulched over the pot, and watered in. The mulch would freeze solid by New Years and stay that way until March. Except for the occassional application of snow to the mulch, I wouldn't need to water until late March, or even April. I never worried about watering over the winter...but you DO have to worry about the mice. They'll de-bark a medium sized maple overnite. Traps and mothballs in cheescloth bags seemed to do the trick.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave is right, if temperate for your area, the best thing is keep it frozen, but keep it where you can get to it for early spring/late winter work and workshops.

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I live in Chicago, where it get bitterly cold in the winter. I've been using a freezerless refregirator for my decidious trees. My pines go outside in a cold frame.
The evergreens go in a cold storage outside eavily mulched. They stay outside all winter long and I don't water until the spring. They get plenty of moisture from the mulch of leaves. The maples and other trees go into a refrigerator in my basement for dormency. I give them a little water once a week.

Boex

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A frozen pot doesn't need to be watered. For many years, I overwintered the majority of my collection, including tridents and palmatums, in my unnattached garage in usda zone 6 MA. Thanksgiving weekend, they would be placed on the concrete floor, mulched over the pot, and watered in. The mulch would freeze solid by New Years and stay that way until March. Except for the occassional application of snow to the mulch, I wouldn't need to water until late March, or even April. I never worried about watering over the winter...but you DO have to worry about the mice. They'll de-bark a medium sized maple overnite. Traps and mothballs in cheescloth bags seemed to do the trick.
I know it's an old post, but, I'm new to bonsai and you're in the same USDA zone I'm in, but I live in Montreal. Anyways, I would be curious to know how low the temperature drop in your garage. The only place I would have for winter is an unheated, uninsulated, galvanized metal storage on my south facing balcony. And I wonder if this would be enough. I have a young 6yr Juniper and 3 maple sapling. I'd probably put them in an styrofoam box filled with mulch.
Otherwise, I will have to pay to have them winterized at a nursery, or maybe in a friends cold frame if he still have place left.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it's an old post, but, I'm new to bonsai and you're in the same USDA zone I'm in, but I live in Montreal. Anyways, I would be curious to know how low the temperature drop in your garage. The only place I would have for winter is an unheated outside storage on my south facing balcony. And I wonder if this would be enough. I have a young 6yr Juniper and 3 maple sapling. I'd probably put them in an styrofoam box filled with mulch.
Otherwise, I will have to pay to have them winterized at a nursery, or maybe in a friends cold frame if he still have place left.
Um, you know how much a nursery would charge you to store those trees for the winter-- More than they cost. Not really an option. I'd lean on your friend.

Boex

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Um, you know how much a nursery would charge you to store those trees for the winter-- More than they cost. Not really an option. I'd lean on your friend.
Yeah, that's a good point.... I should contact them to see how much thay charge...

Top Bottom