Coleus Bonsai, Advice Needed.

Josh R.

Seed
Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum so I figured I’d keep it simple and just ask for some advice. I haven’t seen too many coleus bonsai out there and I thought maybe you all could let me know what you think about mine or give me some advice such as styling or pot choice and size. Thank you so much. Josh R. E6D957AB-4ADC-43D0-B0E6-FE9BA11855BA.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I have to admit, I was not expecting to see much, because I only know coleus as a landscape plant. I really like it! It is hard to tell the scale of the plant without a reference (which is why many people post soda or beer cans in their photos). However in a perfect world you would want a shallower pot that is also a little wider. I would also consider a round or oval shape... and in a slightly different complementary color so that you are not looking at green on green.

Josh R.

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

I have to admit, I was not expecting to see much, because I only know coleus as a landscape plant. I really like it! It is hard to tell the scale of the plant without a reference (which is why many people post soda or beer cans in their photos). However in a perfect world you would want a shallower pot that is also a little wider. I would also consider a round or oval shape... and in a slightly different complementary color so that you are not looking at green on green.
Ok great. I’ll post a pic first thing tomorrow with something beside it to show the scale. And I’m not sure but I’m guessing I should wait for it to warm up a little before I repot it. I have a perfect pot in a different color that will go really well with this “tree”. Thanks again for the advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is pretty sweet!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Josh R.

Seed
Reaction score
Ok so here is a picture with a can of soda for scale. This coleus was planted in the ground just this past summer around my pool as decoration and became quite large. When winter came and I noticed it had a decent trunk I figured I’d put in a pot, keep inside and give it a try. 6 months later here it is doing quite well. Thanks everyone for the kind comments and suggestions. Josh R. 9E490105-2218-4A3B-9044-CB1F03AF290B.jpeg

HoneyAngel

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I love your coleus bonsai!
I was trying to figure out how to grow one of my own, but I can’t seem to grasp how your coleus appears woody when it’s a herbaceous plant.
Does anyone know how a coleus can obtain this trunk? Thanks for any help given!

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a number of herbaceous plants that appear to be woody, and their 'trunks' can be quite interesting. I hadn't thought of doing it with a coleus, but I have one now that is doing well. The temps are almost high enough that I can move it outside. I think I'll see what happens in the fall...

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a number of herbaceous plants that appear to be woody, and their 'trunks' can be quite interesting. I hadn't thought of doing it with a coleus, but I have one now that is doing well. The temps are almost high enough that I can move it outside. I think I'll see what happens in the fall...

The trick in my experience is to move them inside before the first freeze and keep them alive over the winter.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I was trying to figure out how to grow one of my own, but I can’t seem to grasp how your coleus appears woody when it’s a herbaceous plant.
A lot of plants that are treated as herbaceous annuals in the sub-tropics and temperate climates are actually woody plants that can live for several years. See also: chilli peppers, okra, pelargoniums.

Josh R.

Seed
Reaction score
Basically all I did with this coleus is let it grow all summer long without ever touching it. Than I hacked it down leaving a few primary branches and let it grow from there. The woody truck had already been acquired when I dug it up.

Top Bottom