Coleus kong (bonsai?) Whats your most nontraditional "bonsai"

Bodanger

Seedling
Reaction score
24875820190623_220027.jpg248759
I'm not sure if others would even consider this a bonsai or not but I thought I'd share.

Its still a work in progress and looks much better with smaller leaves. I just defoliated and did some pruning trying to get more ramification. I'll post follow up pics if anyone is interested.

I'm curious what other people have developed into psudo/ nontraditional bonsai. Especially if its something like this that is shade loving.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
neat, I've seen a couple coleus with crazy gnarled trunks. Usually in the ground in FLA they get attacked by nematodes and have to be replaced after a season or so. Virginia Creeper, FLA Firebush and Norfolk Pine are my three oddballs that I am trying. Surinam Cherry too.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Let’s see some pics of that Norfolk! That’s one of my favorite trees, though not a fan of the typical house plant habit. The full grown, in their element, ones always have me in awe.

Apparently someone made a decent tree from poison ivy. Found it on a random google search on lunch break.o_O

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Schefflera, aka "Hawaiian" umbrella tree, in a spam can. Calling it bonsai would be quite a stretch, but it is shade loving and certainly non-traditional.
20190530_203509.jpg

Top Bottom