Collect seeds from India

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Any ideas on what Bonsai seed to collect from India ?
What be the ones to look out for ( rare etc...)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Collecting seed from India is one thing. Getting those seeds back to NZ will be something else altogether. I'm sure NZ quarantine is as strong as here in Aus.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Seeds collected will stay in India ( we have a family house etc ..)
I was hoping this would be the case.
Ficus appear to be very popular as bonsai throughout India so you could consider trying some ficus species. They germinate easily and grow quick given half decent conditions.
India is a big place with lots of different climate zones so some species may do better in some areas.
Due to the range of climates, they appear to grow all the traditional favorites as bonsai. Some of those could also be growing as street trees or in parks so you may be able to get seed if you are in the right place at the right time.
Not sure what native species are being used for bonsai in India apart from the ficus.
Maybe you should make contact with some of the bonsai clubs near where your family house is and make enquiries about the species they use and where to find seed. Locals always have a much better handle on what is happening and why.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
And remember, most bonsai are not started by seed. Most of us start with trees several times larger than the final envisioned size bonsai. For example, if I want a meter tall bald cypress, I would probably start with a 4 or 5 meter tall bald cypress and cut it down to half a meter tall, then regrow some height to its finished height. This is the way to get the large caliber trunks we like in bonsai. Growing from seed can be done, but then it can take a lifetime growing to get the caliper of trunk we would like.

Ficus are good for bonsai. You can find trees ready to be cut back and styled. No waiting for it to "grow up" first.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tamarind comes to mind, which has been advocated by a former member

Top Bottom