Collected a few yew today

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had the opportunity today to collect a few small Hemlocks (corrected - thanks Ianb/JasonG).

The root system on this tree was insane. It had a patch of roots roughly 1ft sq (like a moist mat of canvas) under a rock it was next to.

collected_yews_6.jpg

collected_yews_1.jpg

This tree was removed from a ditch. Pruning by snowplow no doubt. This one has a nice nebari - four strong lateral roots just below the bark in this image.

collected_yews_2.jpg

collected_yews_4.jpg

This tree had just a few long roots and rested above a rock under a small bit of soil.

collected_yews_3.jpg

collected_yews_5.jpg

Collecting these was pretty easy as they sat in a sandy mix of soil which was on the dry side. All three trees are in a 50/50 bark / turface/perlite mix and in the shade. I'd put them into the ground but I don't really have the room for that unfortunately.

I did see some larger specimens but wanted to cut my teeth on collecting just a few of these smaller ones.

somegeek

Last edited:

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are yew sure it's a yew, looks more like hemlock to me...

Still nice material though:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The frist two are likely Mountain Hemlock... but the last one is not... it's Western Hemlock. :)

V

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the correction on this. :) What are the notable differences when discerning between yew and hemlock foliage?

somegeek

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The frist two are likely Mountain Hemlock... but the last one is not... it's Western Hemlock. :)

V

Western Hemlocks in Northern Oregon and Southern Washington look nothing like that. They are darker green, and have a much different needle.....

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Should I wait until the spring to do any wiring on these trees?

somegeek

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Should I wait until the spring to do any wiring on these trees?

somegeek

Maybe...... but I'd wait until they made it through the summer of 2011. Fertilize them well as they do look a little weak at the moment (at least the last two do). I also know from experience that if they are not healthy and you try to wire a branch with too much of an angle or when its dormant, one can loose or harm the branch.

Jason, I know that there can be a lot of regional differences between species but like Ms. Vic I do believe that the last two trees could be western hemlock or maybe a hybrid btwn the two?

I'm just glad we are seeing more PNW species on the NUT these days.
Cheers

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
YEW = Hemlock

Attached is a great photo of a Mt. Hm, notice how the branch looks like a brush with the needles mostly pointing upwards whereas the Western foliage tends to lay more horizontal, like the ones you collected.
G

Attachments

• 800px-MountainHemlock_6739[1].jpg
    800px-MountainHemlock_6739[1].jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Jason...

While there is no doubt in my mind that you are very familiar with regional species, I have to disagree with you on this one. The photo I am attaching is of a "ditch-a-dori" I collected a few years ago which actually started out looking almost exactly the same as somegeek's. Mine is without doubt Western Hemlock, and as has been pointed out, the foliage pattern is very specific on them.

You can see how the comparison would provide me the basis of my conviction on this.... ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Attachments

• COLLECTEDHEMLOCK.jpg
    COLLECTEDHEMLOCK.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 48

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't this a little early (or much too late) to be collecting material such as this? I would think late Oct-Nov would be more appropriate and less stressful on the tree. :confused:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
With appropriate aftercare it's not impossible... but yes... it is better to wait and increase your odds. ;)

V

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Im in the same shape, i have several jobs this week and next that are all taking out older landscapes, and am getting ready for a big week, even though its not the right time. I have no choice, either try or toss em. Anyway, good luck to all this time of year. At least its cooling down here now.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't this a little early (or much too late) to be collecting material such as this? I would think late Oct-Nov would be more appropriate and less stressful on the tree. :confused:

Mojo/Digger - Collecting yamadori this time of year in our area has been done for decades. Over the last 3 years I have been involved in it as early as mid August but this year we've waited for the late summer rains (we aslo collect until October). Collected a few last weekend so we'll see how they do. The trees put on root growth this time of year (late summer/fall) so with some good collecting techniques and immediate aftercare our survival rate is really good. To back this up I've added a couple of photos that show Mountain hemlock trees collected over the last several years (the first one is HUGE).
Good luck.

Cheers
G

Attachments

• IMGP1709.jpg
    IMGP1709.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP1710.jpg
    IMGP1710.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom