Collected Alder Question

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just collected? This year 2017......or last of 2016? Or....been awhile.
If just collected, you probably pruned back the roots hard to fit that pot space.
I'd let it grow out this year so it regains health with strong roots. Let the tree recover as it wants.
There are branches you might remove to help better distribute the health growth though.

Me? I'd cut back 2-3 branches in places just to see how the tree responds to cutting back. I'd leave some leaf growth on the cut branches though...so there is a clear need for the branch to survive. I'm rather curious to see what happens.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just collected? This year 2017......or last of 2016? Or....been awhile.
If just collected, you probably pruned back the roots hard to fit that pot space.
I'd let it grow out this year so it regains health with strong roots. Let the tree recover as it wants.
There are branches you might remove to help better distribute the health growth though.

Me? I'd cut back 2-3 branches in places just to see how the tree responds to cutting back. I'd leave some leaf growth on the cut branches though...so there is a clear need for the branch to survive. I'm rather curious to see what happens.

As in, hours ago. Will have to reduce it some, but keeping leafing was my thinking. I may have been well off and best chopping back to stumps.

It's a fairly big bulb planter.. but that's all the roots we got... Didn't trim to fit it in.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh....hours ago. It looks healthy right now. Hope it stays that way.
UK......you guys are just entering summer weeks now...at the end of Spring?

Nice Alder. Good potential. Good challenges.

When I first glance saw the photo I thought like this....thumbnail below. However, I don't have the tree in front of me so my thoughts are more miscellaneous mischief...and often get me in trouble.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 35

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mid spring really, summer hits in June.

Yeh the photo doesnt show the smaller trunk well.. all the interest is there.

You know thats a wine bottle not a beer bottle right? :p

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So it's an older Alder called an Elder Alder. An old tree. I get it.
I'd have fun with the potential....could end up unusual and very attractive. Give it some effort and time.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So it's an older Alder called an Elder Alder. An old tree. I get it.
I'd have fun with the potential....could end up unusual and very attractive. Give it some effort and time.

Hehe no.. but this is the crossed wires that got this dug up :p

Its now been ID`d as not Alder (Alnus), but Elder (sambucus). After looking into it the ID is spot on, and they are not good subjects for lots of reasons..

But its here now, in a pot, so will continue to care for and take it on the ride :) Even if it all ends up as some one else asking in years to come "Elder bonsai?".. first hand knowledge..

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I was gonna say that doesn't look much like Alder which is a shame! Elder grow absolutely bloody everywhere in the UK I swear, bloody weeds!

Would've made a decent starting point otherwise but you came this far you might as well try and create something from it?!

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Could be worse, collected one when its leaves were just popping and naively ID'd it as an Ash. Dreaded realisation below once the leaves blew up a bit :0 (
20180425_133100.jpg

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hehe. Still playing.. even have a second one. Will post some pics tomorrow. Have two flower buds coming on this one and have carved down the straight trunk... a bit of practice with the nibbler.

Top Bottom