Collected Alder

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi guys, I'm at work, so I will add photos later when I get home, but wanted to start getting some thoughts.

The tree was collected four weeks ago and I cut roots back hard then put it in a grow box and tried to keep it out of frosts and watered.

This week, it is pushing leaves like crazy and it is budding all over the trunk and the branches I retained.

My first question about this tree is about the buds. Should I worry about selecting buds now in the first year or should I let it grow wild for a season to recover from collection? To be honest, it is growing more vigorously than any other tree in my collection to this point in the season.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My first instinct is it went trough a lot already, even not seeing it I would recommend letting it recover. Sounds like it is coming along very good though!

Grimmy

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are photos of the tree as it was at collection.

alder 1.jpgalder 2.jpgalder 3.jpg

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is the tree today with lots of budding and leaves.

alder 4.jpg

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is an update on the growth of the alder I collected from a stream bank 6 weeks ago. It has been my most vigorously growing tree of the season so far. Notice how new shoots are coming up from the buried roots!

I'm going to let this tree grow totally wild all summer and then cut it back and choose branches after leaf drop. It will be chopped by more than half as well.

Attachments

• alder up 1.jpg
    alder up 1.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 44
  • alder up 2.jpg
    alder up 2.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 41
  • alder up 3.jpg
    alder up 3.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 54
  • alder up 4.jpg
    alder up 4.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 40

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, remember where you collected this tree. Do not let this one get even slightly dry. You may even need to go so far as to set the whole thing in a pan of water once the heat is on.

You may have better luck with more humidity in your area, but we're very arid in our summer and these are water trees, always with their feet in the wet.

If you don't want to add some organics into your mix to keep your soil wet you risk losing this tree if you don't have time to water it often. They will go down quick in a hot wind if they're not sucking up water. Especially after a dig or repot when the roots are down. Best of luck with it, think wet and it will do good, Rick

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've got about 30% organic material in the mix, plus the lava is quite retentive. I'll be sure to add more organics etc on the top to keep the moisture in once the heat comes in. We do tend to be very humid here, so that will help some.

Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom