Collected American Beech

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Recently Collected American Beech. Not a terribly fat trunk, but has this great bend because of an earlier natural impact/trunk chop. Unfortunately it has no low branches so I'll be starting from scratch/hoping for good back buds this spring.

IMG_20190308_115639229.jpg
And potted up after some root trimming.
IMG_20190308_125724399_HDR.jpg

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have you had luck in the past collecting beech? Ive collected them before but they were young trees with lots of buds. Do you think this big guy will push out new growth? I actually collected some big Beech this past weekend with no branching and i'm wondering the same thing. Only time will tell I guess...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You got some decent roots with it, will be interesting to see if and where it buds for you.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you had luck in the past collecting beech? Ive collected them before but they were young trees with lots of buds. Do you think this big guy will push out new growth? I actually collected some big Beech this past weekend with no branching and i'm wondering the same thing. Only time will tell I guess...
First Beech, so this is all new. Not that I've collected much; A Hornbeam that is going incredibly well and a Virginia Pine that hasn't died after 1 year in =)

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
D6AF37F5-A7BD-47AA-B99E-A9C33BD887CC.jpeg801F65BB-6D92-42D1-850F-25BE546B87C6.jpeg
Here’s the beech I collected about a week ago. Hopefully that top branch takes off and becomes the new apex. We shall see!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am wondering where do you guys collect the trees if I may ask

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am wondering where do you guys collect the trees if I may ask
I’ve got a friend who hunts on his uncles property. I’m not much of a hunter but I asked to take some trees he just looked at me strange and said he didn’t care. So as long as no one is hunting it’s about 14 acres to explore. I’ve heard of people getting permission from rangers to collect from forests, not sure how to go about that...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve got a friend who hunts on his uncles property. I’m not much of a hunter but I asked to take some trees he just looked at me strange and said he didn’t care. So as long as no one is hunting it’s about 14 acres to explore. I’ve heard of people getting permission from rangers to collect from forests, not sure how to go about that...
Thanks you for the reply, I am new in the country and not sure how this things works definitely not wishing to go walking in a forest and get arrested ... :)

Top Bottom