Collected American larch styling options

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
This trees is 3 years recovered from collection, some minor wiring in 2016 and got its first real repot spring 2017. It grew unchecked all year except keeping shoots in check no other major work was done. Now I'm ready to take it further, anyone have suggestions, advice, see something I dont or perhaps a virt on where to take this.
Projected front.
1129171102a.jpg side a
1129171103.jpg back
1129171103a.jpg Side b
1129171103b.jpg And a video to give you an idea on branching, I know the top should be re grown due to the thickness of some of the upper branches, ive learned now to keep those in check after recovery so they dont get to big to quick. lessons, lessons... Learning...

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Less branches and bring down. Looks like a good literati. How tall is it?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You definitely chose the same front I would have chosen.

I would not ''go literati'' keep majority of branches, at least for a while. Keep options open.
I would wire the trunk to set the line of the trunk, disguise the chop point some, the front hides the chop or broken point where the leader changed.
I would wire to lay out the branches, get them to "follow the leader". Lower branches should go out, at the same angle from trunk on both sides of the tree, not one up & one down. Lower branches more horizontal or down, your design choice, upper branches can reach for the sky a little more. Boring formula stuff, but the tree has some quirks, it won't look boring.

Thin congested areas, not too much. I did not notice any big problems, the lower branches there is a tangle looking at the front photo, bring a little order to that mess, don't worry about bar branches or other ''formula'' things,

Just get it wired out, and let it grow a while - then perhaps a different design will hit you. But as it is, it is a nice start. Enough weird angles that once wired out, it won't be boring.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like that this trunk has taper, rare in American larch. This is a good find, good eye.

Keep the lowest branches, let them extend even, if for no reason other than to thicken the lower trunk even more. Sacrifice branches, if you specifically want one that you will later cut off, should go out, then when beyond where it could shade the ''Keepers'', bend it straight up, like a secondary trunk. If it takes off, it will continue to thicken the lower trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How pliable are those branches still?

What size no longer moves well?

Seems in a position to only NEED to bring down a couple, but only for the first trunk exit angle. Or out until the secondaries if they will become hard to move next year (Like that one big branch)

NEED...Cuz it IS to nice a specimen to push any further than absolutely necessary.

Seems all the space will fill itself in just on a lower plane.

It's just building proper branching after that!

Slick.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good advice. When wiring down open up the branches to make room for ramifications. Your front looks good and I see a nice informal upright in there. Give it time and the trunk will thicken and become rough. Start exposing surface roots.

Nice start.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
How pliable are those branches still?

Sorce
I should still be able move every branch on this thing. Thanks for the advice @Leo in N E Illinois and @twisted trees i knew it had more potential than to go literati. I got the branches set down quite a bit last year when I wired it, I just never got around to it after its repot this spring.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BRANDO.gif

I may be one or two trees light come spring, proper.....sucks. Brother Johnny lost the top trees in the collection last year. I've killed more than a few, way too many.

But the VC kill sucks harder for some reason...but not by much!!!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Found 3 field mice in the sticky traps where i store my pre-bonsai on the farm. It is a start.
I'm glad they got stuck, I hope they died a slow painful death, maybe even froze, starved and died of dehydration at the same time. Maybe even some dysentery to boot.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Update.... after a slight trim today. Bout to contemplate pots and start working on some options for my spring repot. Thinking a gritty dark unglazed round with wonky, torn, bacon lipped edge. Similar to the one posted. Input welcomed0626181246_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-17-23-05-56.png
    Screenshot_2018-06-17-23-05-56.png
    406.2 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom