Collected Arizona Ash clump/group

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this tree around May of last year from the Bosque just south of Albuquerque. I was on a run and came across it and it looked great as is, so I made my way back the following week and dug it up! It had already bug to leaf out and it took a bit for it to push new buds after a heavy chop. Much of the trunks were all connected with two that, while growing up tight to the rest, were not of the same root system.
0C3B5EC2-7188-4172-9C3A-AB6EDB4AB84C.jpeg
22AFFC95-A9C8-4355-A687-6D57F5C0DD84.jpeg
4C5A96F3-CB70-49AE-8648-126086111374.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once leafed our the tree grew like mad. Arizona Ash as I understand have a bad reputation as bonsai due to there compound leaves. I figured though that as a group that the leaf size and shape could be mitigated and would look better in its winter sillouhete. Even so, I found that the first several leaves to pop before they compound were of small size and non compound shape. 4A7046A6-51C9-4215-9037-143FC4DE85B4.jpeg
The size of the main trunk is substantial also making the scale work a bit better. About 2-2.5”
BCFD6234-C270-40EF-8CFF-95F28D400FEF.jpeg
9465CED8-8EFE-481F-8522-921DEE3A38DC.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decided to repot today as several buds began extending and leaves starting to unfurl.
I took the main clump and found what o thought was the best front which hid the main chop on the large trunk. I needed though, to move a trunk attached to the clump to the back of the composition. Fortunately roots had grown above The main clump so I could separate and move. I also added the two extra trees to the right back and far left. I’m happy with the design right now and look forward to this years growth!
93906E0B-B086-4730-A3E0-AF7B21283A1A.jpeg0AEA2AEC-6BA0-41DF-A7E9-23C9AD3D89DC.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Decided to repot today as several buds began extending and leaves starting to unfurl.
I took the main clump and found what o thought was the best front which hid the main chop on the large trunk. I needed though, to move a trunk attached to the clump to the back of the composition. Fortunately roots had grown above The main clump so I could separate and move. I also added the two extra trees to the right back and far left. I’m happy with the design right now and look forward to this years growth!
View attachment 290256View attachment 290260
Looks nice in the pot!

What do the characters mean?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks nice in the pot!

What do the characters mean?
I have no idea! 😂 it’s a pot I got on the cheap from a nursery in Houston a few years back owned by a Vietnamese family. Pretty sure it’s a Chinese production pot. Hopefully it’s not some random statement or insult! 😂🤷🏼‍♂️

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have no idea! 😂 it’s a pot I got on the cheap from a nursery in Houston a few years back owned by a Vietnamese family. Pretty sure it’s a Chinese production pot. Hopefully it’s not some random statement or insult! 😂🤷🏼‍♂️
Lol!
Translates to "Silly American Try Bonsai"

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This group is starting to push pretty hard. I had about a 4 ft leader on the main trunk that I cut back that has produced multiple buds around the cut site. Though fraxus velutina is not known as a quality bonsai specimen due to the compound leaves, a group like this, trimmed a few times a year seems to reduce leaf size quite well. I think in another 5-10 years this one will be pretty great. Different at the very least. 93D2EE36-8D0D-4153-92B5-84E6BD3A21FD.jpeg7CB9CE1A-C09D-4FAA-9754-6F9773691D8C.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking clump... geez.... I'm in Arizona... I should have an Arizona Ash!🤔
Keep a look out!! They have a horrible reputation as Bonsai, or so I’ve read. It’s the compound leaves that makes them unworthy. But I think with enough trimming and the fact that I’ve got multiple trunks with the biggest being almost 3” it’ll look pretty great after a while. Not sure if there are other drawbacks I’m unaware of. I really like it because it is a different species and is already showing promise. It’ll be interesting to see how well it will ramify.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Those same pots are all over FB marketplace ads in SWFL too lol

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i dig it, cool.

hope you wiped away your footprints around the digsite!! jp lol, 101 dalmatians style (when they swept away the pawprints after crossing the road)

i like that pot too, for real (fellow bargain shopper) - it says "made in America" in Chinese. jp

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice, Danny. I like this composition a lot. I'd definitely be gun shy about trying a species with compound leaves myself, but I think Walter Pall has an Ash and it's quite good. I think if you can keep the leaves and leaflets small it will help. Looking forward to seeing the development on this!

How big is it?

Top Bottom