Collected Azalea

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I collected an azalea hidden in vines in my front yard today. Pruned the roots considerably (more than in the pic below) and also cut two dead branches off the mid trunk. Sealed with the green paste (that's what I had on hand). That left a nice trunk. Also reduced the height by cutting down the trunk below the split. Planted in a 16X16X3.5" box.

Any pointers and/or ideas for next steps would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Az1.jpg
    Az1.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Az2.jpg
    Az2.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Az3.jpg
    Az3.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Az3a.jpg
    Az3a.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Az4.jpg
    Az4.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Az5.jpg
    Az5.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 52

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Next step is to protect it over winter, cross fingers and anything else you can think of that may help and wait patiently.
Some azaleas take longer to recover from transplant than others. Looks like you have kept a good amount of roots so hopefully it will recover quicker but either way don't try any further work until it is well and truly recovered. That could be 12 months or 2 years, occasionally longer.
IMHO there's no point making plans now because you cannot predict which parts will live and which will grow stronger or stay too weak to use.
The lower bend looks ideal for informal upright style but growth in some places and not in others could change that completely.

Top Bottom