Collected Bald Cypress - Need Direction

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BS1.jpg BS2.jpg BS3.jpg BS4.jpg BS5.jpg I collected this cypress last year, put in the pot and somehow ended up with it in the second pot with water. It seemed happy for the summer standing in the water and helped on days I could not check it for watering. I removed it from the second pot for the winter to avoid freezing and put it back in the water about a month ago. As you can see the very top has a hole in it and appears to be dead or I think so since it does not have any growth coming from there. So I am looking for advice, should I cut off the top where there is no growth? Let the top branches grow free or wire just one to start a new top. Should any of the branches be wired at this time or just let it grow free for a year or few years?

Thanks

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would leave the dead part at the top and carve it. I can't give much advice on wiring, I'm going to let mine free grow for a couple of years to help the large carving heal over.

Brian

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO. Something should be done about that bulging spot.

Maybe a carve down the middle for 2 trunks?
aviary-image-1458132294920.jpeg

Sorce

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
IMO. Something should be done about that bulging spot.

Maybe a carve down the middle for 2 trunks?
View attachment 97902

Sorce

It's awfully tempting to do a V cut. My advice is to avoid it on BC. In my experience it just ends up with unsightly swelling - you'll have to cut it off and redo in the long run.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's awfully tempting to do a V cut. My advice is to avoid it on BC. In my experience it just ends up with unsightly swelling - you'll have to cut it off and redo in the long run.

What if you account for swelling?

Sorce

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What if you account for swelling?

Sorce

I've tried it several times and the result has never looked natural. In all cases I've ended up lopping it the swollen V cut in favor of a simple 45 degree angle.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to All for your advice.
I have not done any carving and don't have the tools so I may not try it at this time. Sounds like I should get rid of the top part, maybe cut at an angel where one of the existing small branches are coming out.
I ask about the wire because the branches even though small are stiff already. Did not know how they will be as they (hopefully) thicken up in the next year.

Top Bottom