Collected Bald Cypress

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fun and rewarding work. Here's the process.

After collecting, I use packing stretch wrap to protect and hold together the rootball. With bald cypress, you can just leave the wrap on and set the rootball in water until you're ready to repot.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cut the plastic off with a sharp knife to expose the rootball.

image.jpeg

This is a cool tree - it has some movement and taper. Tough to find on bald cypress.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
With a single root hook slowly work the field soil from the tree. Draw the hook radially from the tree. Work from the outside of the root ball inwards. When most of the field soil is cleared away, the rest can be cleaned with a gentle stream of water from the hose. Be gentle on the fine feeder roots - you want these to come through the process with as little damage as possible. Protect the bark.

Here's rootball with the field soil removed. It's a dirty job. You can see the field cut on the tap root.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Now let drill four holes for the wire. Test fit the tree first you want to position the holes between the larger roots so you can secure the tree. Cut two lengths of wire and feed the through the holes. I used 2.5 mm wire for this tree.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Grow box is ready.

image.jpeg

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Next the drainage layer and some soil.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Place the tree in the box. Push down firmly and rotate the tree back and forth to work the soil into the roots. Not too much effort on a tree like this where there are hardly any roots left. Then wire the tree to the box. Use the big roots to secure the tree.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Scott

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fantastic ;) Very well laid out. Thanks for the effort. Very much appreciated.
This has the makings of a unusual baldy with that movement. Looking forward to updates on it...!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice movement on that one. That should work out nicely.

In your first post, is that a live oak in the back right? Another nice tree!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really nice movement on that one. That should work out nicely.

In your first post, is that a live oak in the back right? Another nice tree!

Thanks - bald cypress with movement are a little hard to find. They usually grow sick straight.

The tree in the background is a live oak. Collected from near the Pearl River and grown in the ground for a few years. Dug up three years ago and beginning its journey. Lots of grafting in store for it this year. I'll post more on it at some point.

Scott

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great movement on your live oak too - very nice tree! Rockm has a great one that was collected in Texas many years ago in case you have questions and want to compare notes.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great movement on your live oak too - very nice tree! Rockm has a great one that was collected in Texas many years ago in case you have questions and want to compare notes.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've seen his southern live oak thread and have followed it with interest. Outside of California, oaks are underutilized as bonsai. I've seen few southern live oak, for example, in exhibition or in private collection. But they are such a striking tree in nature and adapt so well to bonsai culture, that it would be a shame to not try at least one.

Scott

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
Very cool. I love the step-by-step.
I plan on getting my hands on one or more bald cypress in the near future when I visit my grandfather in Louisiana... He has also offered me a couple live oaks that he started as seeds 5-6 years ago. Hopefully I get to get down there soon for another visit.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very cool. I love the step-by-step.
I plan on getting my hands on one or more bald cypress in the near future when I visit my grandfather in Louisiana... He has also offered me a couple live oaks that he started as seeds 5-6 years ago. Hopefully I get to get down there soon for another visit.

Thanks. I have several - mostly collected. Very satisfying trees to grow. Keep us posted on your progress!

Scott

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
Thanks. I have several - mostly collected. Very satisfying trees to grow. Keep us posted on your progress!

Scott
Will do. Currently I am starting a collection. I have a few trees that might be worth working on in 5 years, as they are all newl collected. I'm trying out with some natives that grow around my house ( red maple, black cherry, dogwood), and I will be getting some nursery stock to play around with as well.... I just need to find a place to get the correct ingredients to make good soil... All I can seem to find around here is regular topsoil...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mark,

that was very educational, and hopefully, you will show in leaf.
Great boxes, very tidy/efficient !!!

Any advice on cuttings or airlayers for the swamp cypress?
We have a neglected one here and it's time to produce some young ones.
Strangely enough, this one from Louisiana, does not need winter.
It is self dormant and gives no problems, just neglected for years.
Thanks for any help.
Good Day
Anthony

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice sequence, thanks for sharing. Especially like the, "camera in one hand, chopsticks in the other" shot!
Good luck and good growing!:cool:

Top Bottom