Collected bald cypress

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Not bad. Decent taper but could use some movement. Looks like some OK potential for root flare development in the future.

Really liking the looks of the area you collected this from.

I would be tempted to chop somewhere in this range between the blue lines where it starts to lose interest. To me this looks like more of a graceful flat top later on rather than pyramidal.

Seal the edges of your chop, clean the roots well and remove anything that doesn't belong, put it in a tub with some 50/50 mix, and watch it take off!

20210209_200030.jpg

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
If you still have access to that area and the time within the next couple of weeks, go back and get yourself a monster.

Here's some collected this season, the larger ones are 19-20" wide nebari. Just make sure you cut around at least 8-10" away from the trunk and you should get what you need out of it.

Collected Bald Cypress are bad@$$ and a lot of fun!

20201230_132033.jpg

20210103_132442.jpg

20210205_164436.jpg

Lumpkinz

Seed
Reaction score
If you still have access to that area and the time within the next couple of weeks, go back and get yourself a monster.

Here's some collected this season, the larger ones are 19-20" wide nebari. Just make sure you cut around at least 8-10" away from the trunk and you should get what you need out of it.

Collected Bald Cypress are bad@$$ and a lot of fun!

View attachment 353385

View attachment 353386

Very nice! I do have access to this area, but the bigger trees seemed a bit intimidating at the time. How did you go about getting them out of the ground? I'm in Houston as well btw!

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Very nice! I do have access to this area, but the bigger trees seemed a bit intimidating at the time. How did you go about getting them out of the ground? I'm in Houston as well btw!
Yes the bigger ones are definitely more intimidating but compared to collecting from hard soil are relatively easy. Use a sawzall or hooked hand saw to cut an 8-10" perimeter around the trunk, then use a come-along attached to another tree to slowly jack the tree sideways so you can access the tap root(s) and cut that. BillsBayou has a very good video explaining this process.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was all in till I saw @HENDO 's! Shit!

At least you're ankle deep in the swamp and not buying em at the store!

Get into them hips though!

Sorce

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh, Yea nice trees!
I haven’t had time to go swampadori hunting this year.

Top Bottom