collected Bald cypress

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
I've been looking around to see if there is anyone who has yamadori bald cypress for sale, specifically something with a little more character than just a slightly flared and large trunk. Living in Ohio I unfortunately don't have access to any good collecting spots (as far as I've found/looked). If anyone has some good resources to reach out to please let me know!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been looking around to see if there is anyone who has yamadori bald cypress for sale, specifically something with a little more character than just a slightly flared and large trunk. Living in Ohio I unfortunately don't have access to any good collecting spots (as far as I've found/looked). If anyone has some good resources to reach out to please let me know!
This depends on what you're budget is. A larger, established collected BC with decent trunk flare and substantial trunk can be expensive. One of the best suppliers of quality BC stock I've found is Zach Smith at Bonsai South. He collects trees beginning in Feb. They sell very quickly. An email or call to him (extremely great guy) can help get you what you want.

Haven't bought from here, but seems reasonable:

You can find lesser quality and younger collected trees on ebay and etsy, but some are just awful and have large price tags.

You can also find decent sized BC at local nurseries--even in Ohio. They are pretty winter hardy trees in the North if given adequate winter protection and understanding. FWIW, if I were you, I would find a source that gets trees from more northerly locations (like Louisiana/Gulf Coast) as opposed to Florida collected trees. I've found that Fla. trees aren't as winter hardy as those collected in La.--which isn't all that suprising. Fla. trees also tend to have different foliage (more like a cross between Pond Cypress and Bald Cypress) than Gulf Coast BC.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This depends on what you're budget is. A larger, established collected BC with decent trunk flare and substantial trunk can be expensive.
Character = big taper? trunk bend?
Large trunk = Caliper? Base size?
As Mr Moyogi said, this can be pretty expensive.

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
Character = big taper? trunk bend?
Large trunk = Caliper? Base size?
As Mr Moyogi said, this can be pretty expensive.
By character I suppose I mean some large scars, or hollows or odd movement, I guess I just don’t want it to be the stereotypical/ standard decently flared base into an upright bolt of a trunk.

and yeahhhhhh I unfortunately have very simple taste, it just happens to also be very expensive haha. Appreciate the reply

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
This depends on what you're budget is. A larger, established collected BC with decent trunk flare and substantial trunk can be expensive. One of the best suppliers of quality BC stock I've found is Zach Smith at Bonsai South. He collects trees beginning in Feb. They sell very quickly. An email or call to him (extremely great guy) can help get you what you want.

Haven't bought from here, but seems reasonable:

You can find lesser quality and younger collected trees on ebay and etsy, but some are just awful and have large price tags.

You can also find decent sized BC at local nurseries--even in Ohio. They are pretty winter hardy trees in the North if given adequate winter protection and understanding. FWIW, if I were you, I would find a source that gets trees from more northerly locations (like Louisiana/Gulf Coast) as opposed to Florida collected trees. I've found that Fla. trees aren't as winter hardy as those collected in La.--which isn't all that suprising. Fla. trees also tend to have different foliage (more like a cross between Pond Cypress and Bald Cypress) than Gulf Coast BC.
Thanks for the insight, I’ll definitely check out bonsai south. I never really thought about that when it comes to general location of the collected material, Louisiana BC would probably have a better set of genes when it comes to cold hardy. Luckily I have a decent greenhouse for winters where it stays set right above freezing

Top Bottom