Collected birch on the shore of the great lake superior. (Show me a dwarf birch)

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went yesterday searching for trees, secondly some agates/ cool rocks. The trees near the shore take a beating. High winds, crashing waves and gnarly ice storms. I took a large stump home with me. It's hard to save more roots as these trees are growing around and through jagged rocks. They just slice all the roots. I left room for dieback and realize it will need to be cut lower if it lives. See if I can keep it alive. Also, I think I saw quite a bit of dwarf birch. Can someone show me a bog birch from the midwest?

Attachments

• 20210515_182406.jpg
    20210515_182406.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210515_182355.jpg
    20210515_182355.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 115

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya know, Birch is one of the hardest to keep from dying due to everything under the sun. Landscape nursery potted stock is hard enough to keep alive as bonsai, which is why you see so many of them... I'm not saying don't do it, I am saying don't bet the farm on it.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya know, Birch is one of the hardest to keep from dying due to everything under the sun. Landscape nursery potted stock is hard enough to keep alive as bonsai, which is why you see so many of them... I'm not saying don't do it, I am saying don't bet the farm on it.
Oh I was skeptical from the get. I couldn't keep a big old birch air layer alive last year, and it had a good amount of roots. I also have collected a couple that are still . My tree kill ratio would point to no preference. Haha. Gotta do/try to have any chance at success. I'm pretty determined to at least get stuff to survive. "Get thick or die trying "- if my tree was 50 cent

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh I was skeptical from the get. I couldn't keep a big old birch air layer alive last year, and it had a good amount of roots. I also have collected a couple that are still . My tree kill ratio would point to no preference. Haha. Gotta do/try to have any chance at success. I'm pretty determined to at least get stuff to survive. "Get thick or die trying "- if my tree was 50 cent
20220909_102113.jpg
Probably not much hope for bonsai, but alive and well

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Congrats on keeping it alive. Well done. That middle branch, the one that's vertical - Maybe someday...

Top Bottom