Collected bittersweet

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dug this on Saturday. Hopefully, all goes well.

It is about 40 years old judging from what growth rings I could count. Wood is quite dense, especially for a vine. I expected lighter wood like a wisteria...

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 157

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I got a similar one last year, no photo yet though.

Funny thing is I got my chops busted a bit, spend half my gardening time ripping out bittersweet vines, then bring one home in a pot.:cool:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to know I'm not alone:D

What did you use for soil? I had this in denser potting soil/aggregate mix, but wound up changing it out in favor of a bit lighter turface/potting soil mix. I normally don't use potting soil at all, but Nick Lenz advised a rich recovery soil...I think I made it too rich, though...This vine is all over the place here too. This one was one of the biggest among a thicket of the stuff, along with tangles of wild wisteria.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice movement in that trunk! I would have chopped it lower though. ;) I kid, I kid.

How thick is the base?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks massive. Great movement and bark, can you tell us what your plan is if you have one ? Thanks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, it's a bit tall...BUT the best movement is near the upper end...Base is about five-six inches. No taper at all.

I hope to get some buds up near the top and work it into something of a literati-ish style. The stump may have other plans though--It's far too early for a design plan.:D

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Can't remember how mine was potted when I got it(another member dug it, and I got it at our club auction), but it is in a typical soil mix in a pond basket. But now that we talk, it may not be the best situation as it didn't put on much growth last year, at least not what I expected, so I may need to work on it to amend the soil. Just a plain basket lets it dry quicker too, what I usually do is to double the pond baskets, it keeps the air pruning, but the second layer keeps out the wind a bit, I suspect.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like your tree and am sure it will prosper. These vines are tough. They grow in the worse circumstances so they hit the jackpot if collected by one of us.

Last fall I found one with an interesting little trunk @ 1.5" and I remembered a photo of a shohin by John Romano in International Bonsai magazine. I was unprepared so I dug it with a stick, chopped it with a pocket knife and wrapped it in a wet paper towel. Only got a few roots. Got home late and put it into a mix of potting soil, sand and pea pebbles, I was tired and that was what was available. It now has buds that are getting ready to open. I'm just going to leave it alone and provide basic care, hopefully repot next year. It's sitting out in a little grove of landscape evergreens where it has good light and some wind protection.

I don't know any particulars but will just give basic care and fertilizer. They don't appear to be picky, the plant is living in luxury compared to it's former circumstances.

Best to all and happy growing this season. So glad it's Spring.

Augustine
Central MD 7a

Top Bottom