Collected blueberry stump

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
When i bought my house three years ago, off to the side of my drive way was a bush that consisted of oak seedlings that had been hacked back over several years. i decided one day to clear it all out and try to take as many of the old roots with me so nothing else would grow there. as i took a closer look i noticed some odd shaped leaves that looked familiar but didnt really click. So i went to work. also i must mention that there was alot of extra dirt that had been put over in that area covering alot of the bases of the trunks.

Well as i started removing some of the oaks and removing more and more of the top dirt i found a pretty good sized old blueberry stump with a trunk about 6-7 inches wide! also some kind of animal had been munching on the branches which caused some decent ramification on some lower branching.

i then took it very slowly digging the old stump out nd put it in an old used nursery pot. It was fall of 2010 so i had to wait till spring next year to see if it was going to put any new growth out. come spring and it slowly put out a few buds but i was still not convinced it would last. i did however go ahead and pick the branches i wanted to keep and wire the ones i did keep. (i had not read yet that they dont particularly like wiring) so some of the branches i wired did dieback but some were fine. i left it alone for this past spring and summer until a few weeks ago i did style it again. this time i had waited until the new shouts were thick enough but still young enough that they wouldnt really care about wire.

well so far so good! nothing has died and all i do is keep it in the shade and water it about 4-5 times a week maybe less. its in mostly garden soil which is not the best but its all i had and its doing fine. im probably gonna leave it in that pot for another year or so unless iget brave but i doubt it. well here is a photo of it after i just recently styled it. its not the best lighting but its all i have at the moment.

2011-08-10_18-23-41_201.jpg

sorry i dont have any before pictures, but they wouldnt look that much different from this one except the wired branches. i plan to do quite alot of carving to create something interesting and unique. any suggestions are always welcome.
Thanks!

Will B.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thought I would post some more pictures

090311090957.jpg

090311090846.jpg

2011-09-03_08-30-31_494.jpg

Hope these are a little better...I added a cigarette for scale. I don't smoke but my wifes cousin does. I guess smoking came in handy for once!

Will B.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
So yesterday was very nice outside so I decided to do a little carving while the baby and wife slept. Its not finished but I figured I would torture it a little at a time....comments welcome. Also I plan on tilting it a little to the right next time I repot it.

2011-10-03_12-38-18_349.jpg

2011-10-03_12-38-33_630.jpg

2011-10-03_12-38-43_682.jpg

2011-10-03_12-38-52_859.jpg

Thanks,

Will B.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gotta say, looks like so far so good. I know that I have seen a pretty good blueberry on here (i think grouper) so you might want to look at that thread for inspiration.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thanks tmmason! I actually have read that thread a few times! I hope I can get good fall color!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a very interesting looking tree, or bush I am not sure what a blueberry is. I love trees like these as much as I love classically styled trees. I look at some threads that people say, ugly roots not good nebari etc. , yet I see ones in nature with these types of roots, or nebari on one side or a big root wrapping around the front or coming to the surface ten feet from the tree base. These all are beautiful in their own unique way. I guess beauty is in the eye, or mind, of the beholder. This is a unique and interesting tree I look forward to seeing future pics of it, by the way the carving looks great. Personally I would worry about losing that lower branch you carved around, but it may not be a problem, it just looked as if you went pretty deep in that area. Good luck with this.

ed

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thanks ed! I only went as deep as the rotting wood in most parts. And I am also a fan of the not so normal bonsai. Im not really familiar with carving techniques per say but I just went with it. Thank you for the positive feedback!

jorgea

Seed
Reaction score
You have done an admirable job so far. Keep up the fine progress. Keep us updated.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thank you for the kind words jorgea! It still has quite aways to go but I like it so far! You have given me motivation to keep this tree moving along! Thanks again!

Top Bottom