collected boxwood - branch selection advice needed

Izzy85

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I recently collected this boxwood and pruned and repotted it (probably too much to do at once!
I would really like to achieve nice branch taper on it and lots of ramifications on it in the future.
I am wondering which branches could be taken out of shortened and when. I was even considering chopping to the trunk and just keeping some of the better proportioned branches. Do I have to wait for some backbudding? Any advice would be appreciated20180508_185155.jpg

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, waiting for back-budding is a good idea. In a couple of weeks, stuff should start to pop. You might end up eventually whacking most of the branches you now have, and building your tree from those future buds. Or the branches coming off the existing structure might work just fine. You have a nice base. Now be patient with it for a couple of months at least, if not a whole year. Feel free to keep pruning back to a pair of leaves or two once the new growth gets to be 5 or 6 sets long, to develop ramification.

Izzy85

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, I am definately in no rush! The branches on these boxwoods are so hard to bend, even long 1/4" branches are hard to manipulate with just wire. They respond a bit better to guy wires. That's why I think it'd by better to build them from scratch from near the trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy. ..

Waiting for Wi-Fi

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@John in Toledo newbs Box to virt.

Izzy85 yours just happens to be a good box to see some things clearly on....
A bit of a brainstormer.

That base and trunk would have attracted me too...but I would have had to come up with "something clever" it seems....to see a "cohesive end"...which would keep it on my cart, but finding something with an equal base, with lower branching, may get this one put back.

As it stands now....its a good picture to see "proper nexts" here with "subtrunks"...
The rules which can/should be equally applied to every fork after them.

The first "trident" is the worst for me...
As subtrunks don't have foliage so it will never be hidden....and even though it won't really get much "worse"...I personally can't stand yhe symmetry that is bar branches...wether they look tree-like or not.

2018-05-10-04-27-32.jpg
Then them other 2 tridents.....
The left fixed (future) with one branch removed.
The top one...that is unacceptable for me.
The branch on the "inside of the curve" mostly. Fixable reverse taper....(future).

I dont know that this is "clever" enough....but I would NEED to fix these things...
2018-05-10-04-36-19.jpg
The middle shoot on the right would also be removed....leaving that the only place with heavier top branches in an area...this would be acceptable "proper nexts" for me at this point . ...FROM THIS POINT.

But not now! Yeah still waiting for buds.....

You're at a safe point (design) to just wait for buds and let it regain strength.

If it DOES pop buds all down this trunkline....2018-05-10-04-38-02.jpg

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMEPLAN!

Sorce

Izzy85

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice John, really helps!

Top Bottom