Collected Boxwood (Buxus)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is a progression of one of my (free) collected boxwood. There are lots of change in such a short while but please believe me that I listen to & observe my plants and (I think/believe) only do what it can handle.

The cut areas will be carved early next year.

As collected - February 26, 2012

As of April 15, 2012 (less than 2 months after) After a pot adjustment and more pruning.

As of May 19, 2012 (3 months from collection)

As of October, 2012 (8 months from collection)

As of today 04/02/2013
attachment.php

As of today 04/18/2013..re-styled and did a minor carving
attachment.php

As of 05/19/2013...after some wiring and lowering the right branch.
attachment.php

As of Aug. 24, 2013 (18 months from collection)
Most wires removed and further trimming.
attachment.php

I am not happy with the dual apex so I destroyed this bonsai around fall last year. :D Today (04/27/2014) I repotted it (Bryan Albright pot) and trimmed some. Not the best pot but the only one I have available for now at this size. Will find a better pot later.

Still a long way to go but I am happier with my "step back" and should be moving forward from now on. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1140478.jpg
    P1140478.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 165
  • P1140728a.jpg
    P1140728a.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 168
  • P1150436a.jpg
    P1150436a.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 167
  • P1150035a.jpg
    P1150035a.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Awesome material! Good find.

And you share names with one of my favorite directors, Dario Argento. +10 internet points for this. :D

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree, really nice material. I think you've started it in the right direction. I like your use of guy wires.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys,

Here is another that I collected with the above. As collected - February 26, 2012
P1110824-1.jpg

3 months after.
P1120390.jpg

New front.
P1120387.jpg

daveskib

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that's a nice tree. How tall is it? I have a morris midget and don't expect anything like that anytime soon...lol

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice material; good eye. It will good to watch this one develop over the next few years.

A thought...hopefully the pots aren't getting moved around much. I can't help but think those bus-tubs are pretty flexible and movement could disrupt roots significantly while they're getting established for the first year or two, FWIW.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both of these are starting to look very tree-like. Nice job, Dario!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A thought...hopefully the pots aren't getting moved around much. I can't help but think those bus-tubs are pretty flexible and movement could disrupt roots significantly while they're getting established for the first year or two, FWIW.
Not sure how much is often but they are moved about every 2 weeks. I found the tubs rigid enough though and hardly see any soil movement esp on the more established ones. Thanks for the heads up, I will be more careful now and might even fit them in one of the soda crates when moving and working on them.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Twisty ties as guy wires...gotta love you ingenuity Dario! ;) But that is a nice tree and good start.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Twisty ties as guy wires...gotta love you ingenuity Dario! ;)
Thanks Chris! For me, whatever works...I can see past the ugly wires. You'll be amazed how much tensile strength these little wires have. It works great (strong, easy to anchor & change) and cheap too! For cushion (bark protection), I use aquarium aeration tubing...very sleek and easy to apply as well, I just thread the twisty ties through them.

FYI, I also use these to anchor my trees to my "pots". ;)

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Getting bored in winter can be good ...or... bad. :eek:

I just chopped 3 smaller back branches including the lowest branch on the left as seen on the old pics. The back is now the front, it is just cleaner with less visible chop scars. I do miss the nebari and deadwood at the base of this old front though. My wife actually suggested I recreate it in the new front...we will see.

With the new change, it actually can have 2 fronts. :cool:

I know it is worthless w/o pics...I promise it will follow. ;)

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not only is it great material, but I think you've maximized its potential, too! I really like the dead sections at the base of the tree (can't recall the proper name for it). Perhaps that might be exploited and enlarged.

If I had a criticism of this tree, it would be that the branches on the top are pretty heavy, but that will probably be hidden as the foliage fills in.

Good work and keep us posted.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I had a criticism of this tree, it would be that the branches on the top are pretty heavy, but that will probably be hidden as the foliage fills in.

Thanks.

That fact have been bugging me ever since but not much I can do but hide it as you mentioned. I can alleviate it to some degree by removing one of the major branches but I can't bring myself to do it (yet).

The big right branch is also too straight so it will eventually be bent as well. A challenge I am still studying how to properly execute. I already have a plan...just need to make/fabricate the tool (jack) I need.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need some open mind for this DRASTIC re-design consideration for a better "structure/base". What do you think? Crazy? Maybe? Yes?

It will take years to rebuild but I think it maybe the way to go. Honest, brutal opinion appreciated.

Alternate ideas welcome.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why on earth would you do that? You should slow WAAAY down with these. You're removing some of the most promising parts of the trees...THe crown you're intent on chopping off is the foundation for a great image...

I can't understand the urge to chop off some of the older thicker branching. That's what makes the tree unique. Old boxwood like this is good BECAUSE of what you're removing. You are reducing unique material to run-of-the mill...

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I think I would leave it ALL. The chops you suggest will create better taper, but I don't like the sudden singular direction change. Honestly, with another good year or two of growth and wiring, this will start to look awesome. The only thing I would do to it right now is maybe make some of the larger chops/branch removal areas into "Uro" by carving them out about half the thickness of the branch in depth, then another 1/4" or so wider on the INSIDE. Boxwood takes forever to heal over, and I feel the carving makes them look more interesting and "oak-like." Remember to take your time with this hobby. It is fun to jump in and start learning by doing, but with good material you often end up regretting hasty decisions. I usually look at a tree for at least 6 months or so before doing anything drastic, and that's after wiring every branch. Good luck!

Top Bottom