Collected Boxwood

Raisin Can

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I recently collected a fat Boxwood and trimmed about 60% of the leaves, 20% of the rootball, and most of the smaller branches, planting the remainder in miracle-gro potting soil (It's all I have on hand right now). What do I do now? Wait for it to grow in the potting soil, or trim more of its rootball and plant it in proper bonsai soil? I'm a bit worried I condemned it to a slow death considering the sheer amount of branches I cut off.
Before and after
bonsai before.jpgbonsai after.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fat trunk!

Welcome to Crazy!

Looks ok as you only cut mostly dead branches.
Should be fine.

Fat trunk!

Sorce

vicn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to the site, and congrats on a great big ol starter tree!! You should fill out your profile so we know what part of the country you are from, and that way people can give zone specific info.

Raisin Can

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks! I updated my profile - I live in Zone 10a in southern california, about 30-40 miles southeast from Los Angeles.

Raisin Can

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Another question: I inspected the new growth on one of the branches, and it has tiny dimples. Are they indicative of some disease? None of the other leaves have them. Also, some of the leaves are bronzed, while others are pure green. Pics attached!bronzeleaves.jpg dimpleleaves.jpg

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Don't sweat the bronzing. It's been cold in Irvine lately, and lots of boxwoods will show this. It's be green soon enough. Definitely don't do any carving for a long time - maybe summer 2018. Leave it in the soil it's in until next year around this time. Make sure that box has plenty of drainage holes. Park it along the north side of your house, if you can, giving it some morning sun and cool shade in the afternoon. By mid-March, you can give it full sun and let it grow out. For the next year or so, let it grow out, and over the summer, prune just the edges of each foliage page. This will encourage back budding without robbing the tree of its energy making machinery. If we get any more of those 60 mph winds, try to protect it from the wind and make sure to give it a little more water than usual, but with that soil you're using, it should have plenty of water retention.

Top Bottom