Collected California Juniper

snowsurf125

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all, I thought I'd share this Cal Juni with you. My brother and I collected it on 4/4/12. It's doing well now, so I thought I'd post it.
A few months prior to collection, we tried experimenting with the Dan Robinson "root enhancement" technique. I enhanced half of the tree. The tree was on my grandfather's property, so we were able to water it once every few weeks or so, which helped a ton. After a few months, I went back to do the other half. When I started digging the untouched half, the entire tree shifted. Turns out, it was 2 trees intertwined and growing so close it looked like 1 tree. The tap root seemed to have been pretty old and rotted out, so the 1st half (the enhanced half) was practically falling over. With the 2nd half dug up, I noticed it had some good white tipped roots too. Since both trees were not being supported by any major roots at this point and were both now falling over, I took them both home.
We let them soak in tubs of water and Vitamin B for a few hours. The 1st half had tons of white tipped feeders, while the 2nd half (the un-enhanced side) only had a few. We put them in a pot with pumice, sprinkled some mycorrhizal that I got from Stone Lantern on the roots, filled in the rest with pumice, and left it in our shade house until this year. A few months ago (Dec-Jan), I carefully checked the roots on both. The 2nd half seemed to have more white roots than the 1st half, however, I didn't dig down too far out of fear for disturbing them. About 2 months ago, It was pulled out into full sun and is looking good with some new mature growth.
This one has some nice nebari on 1 side of it. There is also some very nice natural old deadwood, as well as some newer deadwood that will be a nice blank canvas for some carving (when my abilities and technique get there). Here are a few shots. Hope you enjoy.

(sorry some of the pictures rotated. they imported properly, but rotated when i uploaded them)

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 164
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 152
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 150

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Old and beautiful material. I am not sure it should be the carving techniques you will need to work on, but rather rebar and heavy bending techniques. ;)

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
w
Hey all, I thought I'd share this Cal Juni with you. My brother and I collected it on 4/4/12. It's doing well now, so I thought I'd post it.
A few months prior to collection, we tried experimenting with the Dan Robinson "root enhancement" technique. I enhanced half of the tree. The tree was on my grandfather's property, so we were able to water it once every few weeks or so, which helped a ton. After a few months, I went back to do the other half. When I started digging the untouched half, the entire tree shifted. Turns out, it was 2 trees intertwined and growing so close it looked like 1 tree. The tap root seemed to have been pretty old and rotted out, so the 1st half (the enhanced half) was practically falling over. With the 2nd half dug up, I noticed it had some good white tipped roots too. Since both trees were not being supported by any major roots at this point and were both now falling over, I took them both home.
We let them soak in tubs of water and Vitamin B for a few hours. The 1st half had tons of white tipped feeders, while the 2nd half (the un-enhanced side) only had a few. We put them in a pot with pumice, sprinkled some mycorrhizal that I got from Stone Lantern on the roots, filled in the rest with pumice, and left it in our shade house until this year. A few months ago (Dec-Jan), I carefully checked the roots on both. The 2nd half seemed to have more white roots than the 1st half, however, I didn't dig down too far out of fear for disturbing them. About 2 months ago, It was pulled out into full sun and is looking good with some new mature growth.
This one has some nice nebari on 1 side of it. There is also some very nice natural old deadwood, as well as some newer deadwood that will be a nice blank canvas for some carving (when my abilities and technique get there). Here are a few shots. Hope you enjoy.

(sorry some of the pictures rotated. they imported properly, but rotated when i uploaded them)

what exactly is Dan Robinsons root enhancing technique?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
w

It’s very unlikely you’ll get a response from the original poster. This thread is over 6 years old.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
w

The link below addresses it, but indirectly. If I remember correctly, this technique involves wrapping a potential collectable tree's roots in sphagnum most, then in plastic and exposing the bag to sunlight. The tree is left on site, uncollected for a year or so...the technique retains moisture around the roots to promote growth and extension, while the exposure to sunlight traps heat, which can also stimulate growth (although too much exposure can kill the roots with excessive heat.

http://artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2412

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The link below addresses it, but indirectly. If I remember correctly, this technique involves wrapping a potential collectable tree's roots in sphagnum most, then in plastic and exposing the bag to sunlight. The tree is left on site, uncollected for a year or so...the technique retains moisture around the roots to promote growth and extension, while the exposure to sunlight traps heat, which can also stimulate growth (although too much exposure can kill the roots with excessive heat.

http://artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2412
so its used on trees that haven't been collected yet?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Search here for “papoose wrap” by member @grouper52 for information on the root enhancing technique.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/backpack-for-collecting.6450/#post-81817
I have used a version of it and it works.
I don't know if this is the "enhancement" technique. It's a groundbreaking collection practice. I may be wrong though. Wrapping smaller feeder roots on uncollected trees in plastic can accelerate their growth. I THINK that's what the enhancement technique is, if I remember accurately...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't know if this is the "enhancement" technique. It's a groundbreaking collection practice. I may be wrong though. Wrapping smaller feeder roots on uncollected trees in plastic can accelerate their growth. I THINK that's what the enhancement technique is, if I remember accurately...
Yeah, that sounds right now that you mention it. Maybe Will can shed some light... @grouper52 ...?

Top Bottom