Collected chinese tallow.

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Collected this Chinese tallow a few years back. Made the leap to chop it down further and am pretty happy with the results. Any good advice on tallow? I haven’t found too much about them other than a few short posts.
C1B4D523-2CC9-4FDC-8E49-91E3965E856A.jpeg

Attachments

• 6ADA132F-C2CB-438B-902F-1A9FD65D2DD6.jpeg
    6ADA132F-C2CB-438B-902F-1A9FD65D2DD6.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 37

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I forgot to add that the little Guy growing in our front may make a good thread graft if anyone has opinions on where to position a first branch.

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
REmove the upper portion above those branches. No future in it and it is developing inverse taper...
That’s what I took off. The second picture is the most recent. It does look substantially better.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s what I took off. The second picture is the most recent. It does look substantially better.
I mean ALL of that extension. Use those two small branches to begin a new apex.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've found Chinese tallow have long internodes and do not ramify very well. I guess that's the reason the bonsai world is not overrun with good specimens.

Now you just have to wait for new shoots to work out where to go next.

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've found Chinese tallow have long internodes and do not ramify very well. I guess that's the reason the bonsai world is not overrun with good specimens.

Now you just have to wait for new shoots to work out where to go next.
They definitely do naturally, but in my very unstructured and careless trimming this year I have found that the leaves, internodes and petioles reduce very readily. The only BIG problem I have found over the last year is that finer branches die under 35 degrees Fahrenheit.

Top Bottom