Collected Coast Redwood After California Big Basin Fire

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I collected a few Coast Redwood's from a property in the Santa Cruz mountains where the California Big Basin Fire ripped through in 2020. Only the very large trees still stood - the medium and small redwoods had disappeared. I walked the property in May 22' and saw that most of the trees were still living since the lower trunk and roots were protected by the soil. I spent 2 days walking the property and digging up several trees. In the last 6 months they've all recovered.

Here's a video of one of the trees. I'm looking for advice on it's bonsai potential. How can I grow/shape the tree to show well but also tell a story about its past experience with a forest fire? It will be another 5-6 months before I repot it and need to make some decisions, but it's healthy and growing currently.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
That’s some extremely unique deadwood/trunk. I’d personally utilize the deadwood almost like a mountain spire and think of the branches as wisps of cloud. In that case I’d have those branches hug and encircle the main deadwood/trunk. Just my own personal vision.

Top Bottom