Collected Coast Redwood - Styling options?

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I was very lucky and found someone with a huge coastal property that graciously allowed for me to collect several Coast Redwoods. I spent 2 days walking their property and digging up trees that I liked. I collected the trees and potted them and plan on leaving them alone (other than watering) for a year to establish roots. So far it's been a bit over 2 months and they're all pushing lots of growth. I'm hoping they're pushing roots as well and that the growth isn't just stored energy in the trunk.

Here's a photo of the trees.
- The tree on the far right (in bonsai pot) was collected about 2 years ago but just happens to be in the photo.
- The (3) trees on the left side were collected from a property that was destroyed by California's Big Basin Fire in 2020. The root system and lower trunk was protected by the soil so the tree lived, but the main trunk is burnt black and I thought it might give a display some interesting character/story. They of course sprouted new growth after I dug them up and are doing well. Maybe I'll make a separate post about those trees.

IMG-1004.jpg

The tree that I'm interested in discussing is the 2nd tree from the right (tree on the ground all the way to the right). Unlike other trees of this size it has really thick spongy bark all over it. Most of the others, with the exception of 1, have a thinner bark on them. From what I've seen the thicker bark doesn't show up on a tree until it's much larger/mature. I collected this tree when I saw the bark and thought it would be great for a natural looking formal upright. This tree is also pushing a ton of growth in all areas, so hopefully I have options for branch placement. Here are some photos of the bark which looks like it's a couple inches thick. It's spongy to the touch, similar to very large Coast Redwoods. The bark looks very dark in the photos because I recently watered the trees. When dry it has a nice red color to it.

IMG-0998.jpg

IMG-1003.jpg

The tree is 43" tall, 7.5" diameter at the base, and 3" diameter at the top cut. I actually have the tree turned to the left in the photos, since tree would have more taper if was turned 90 degrees. We're looking at what I believe will be the left side of the tree.

On to my questions:
1) Why haven't I seen any Coast Redwood bonsai with thick bark? I would think this is a desirable characteristic.
2) Is there anything about this tree that would make it poor bonsai material?
3) Once the tree gets to the 1 year mark I'll work on it. What would you do with the top flat cut? I was thinking I'd either carve it to a point (see the far right tree in the first pic) or use my large trunk splitter tool to peel bark from the top and give it some taper that way.

I left the tree tall with the thought that I could always shorten it in the future if I like. Ryan from Bonsai Mirai has a similarly tall Coast Redwood that I really like.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1. Dunno…. Could this be a tree that was stunted, damaged over the years, or.. more likely a genetic variation …?

2. Looks really good to me.

3. Get a die grinder and carve the top of the trunk down all jagged and gnarly like, possibly even cut down about 1/5 to 1/4 of the way on one side. Hollow out the standing part a bit, but ensure leave living wood so growth can establish itself on that side. Then. carve the top edges all jagged. Make it look natural and catastrophic. Next get a torch and char the top!

Grow out and have fun!

cheers
DSD sends

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Great trees! I'm jealous.

I think the thick bark you're asking about could have a number of causes; genetic variation; response to trauma e.g. insects, virus, fire, etc.; or just greater age. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will make a super bonsai.

EdyRay

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a coast redwood sapling late last year and it’s doing great so far. Do you have any tips on training it. So far I’ve just been pinching back the branches that are getting too long. Also what type of soil are you using? Thanks Ed..

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a coast redwood sapling late last year and it’s doing great so far. Do you have any tips on training it. So far I’ve just been pinching back the branches that are getting too long. Also what type of soil are you using? Thanks Ed..
It might be worth starting a new topic in this forum section to get more specific answers. There are users such as Deep Sea Diver who have lots of Redwood knowledge. Someone on this forum told me that Bonsai Mirai has a lot of Redwood info so I did a free trial membership to get access to their videos. They're fantastic and address questions that you ask above. Coast Redwood is a tricky species.
Bob Shimon from Mendocino Coast Bonsai recommends a 80/20 mix of akadama/pummice, or even 100% akadama.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
1. Dunno…. Could this be a tree that was stunted, damaged over the years, or.. more likely a genetic variation …?

2. Looks really good to me.

3. Get a die grinder and carve the top of the trunk down all jagged and gnarly like, possibly even cut down about 1/5 to 1/4 of the way on one side. Hollow out the standing part a bit, but ensure leave living wood so growth can establish itself on that side. Then. carve the top edges all jagged. Make it look natural and catastrophic. Next get a torch and char the top!

Grow out and have fun!

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks for your response - always appreciated. I keep looking for videos or even photos of the process of shaping the top cut of a tree but can't seem to find anything. I imagine there must be resources out there, since many collected trees have a flat cut on top, but I can't find a thing.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. That’s the beauty of these trees. It’s a race to be highest…sometimes….

The apexes are constantly in danger. Grow an apex too high and one is at the mercy of the elements, too low and one gets shaded out and loses the competition for solar energy to the neighbors. So it’s a cycle, grow high get more sun…break off, lose sunlight, regrow and repeat.

Broken, battered and lightening struck. That’s what it’s all about up there!

Here’s a couple designs by Ryan Neal to get you started. If you are a member they have some good live stream videos on redwoods.

Good luck! Very interested in seeing your progress here!

cheers
DSD sends

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Hmm…. That’s the beauty of these trees. It’s a race to be highest…sometimes….

The apexes are constantly in danger. Grow an apex too high and one is at the mercy of the elements, too low and one gets shaded out and loses the competition for solar energy to the neighbors. So it’s a cycle, grow high get more sun…break off, lose sunlight, regrow and repeat.

Broken, battered and lightening struck. That’s what it’s all about up there!

Here’s a couple designs by Ryan Neal to get you started. If you are a member they have some good live stream videos on redwoods.

Good luck! Very interested in seeing your progress here!

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks DSD, this helps. Did you mean to attach a link or photo?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oops! …and so I did/was/should of! Sorry got called away.
See:
…and the other Redwood trees that were sold there.
Cheers
DSD sends

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Oops! …and so I did/was/should of! Sorry got called away.
See:
…and the other Redwood trees that were sold there.
Cheers
DSD sends

Beautiful tree - this is the one I was thinking of when I mentioned Ryan from Bonsai Mirai's tree. That's probably my favorite coast redwood.

I'd love to find some videos of people using a die grinder or dremel to clean up a flat cut top. I imagine there are Bald Cypress, dawn redwood or coast redwood videos out there but I can't find any, surprisingly.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For gnarly the Grand Master of Gnarly is right up in WA State. Check out Dan Robinson’s site and his Book “Gnarly Branches Ancient Trees…”. or better yet spend a day up there.

You could get a big Bonsai Double Play and visit the Pacific Bonsai Museum on the same trip 😉. It’s about one hour away

(Check the index in upper corner for Bonsai 101 and Bonsai Redefined

Cheers
DSD sends

San Franpsycho

Sapling
Reaction score
Beautiful tree - this is the one I was thinking of when I mentioned Ryan from Bonsai Mirai's tree. That's probably my favorite coast redwood.

I'd love to find some videos of people using a die grinder or dremel to clean up a flat cut top. I imagine there are Bald Cypress, dawn redwood or coast redwood videos out there but I can't find any, surprisingly.
I haven't watched both parts yet, so not certain of content but..

Creating a Dawn Redwood Bonsai - Part 1​

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love Peter’s straightforward style…. Just the facts Ma‘m! Yet imho in Part One the two twisted trunk Dawns in the last part are a bit off putting. He did a good job of initial styling though.

The second video, Part Two, on the big trunk is a bit more interesting. I wish he would of done something with the site of the huge air layer though. Perfect time to dust off Ye Olde die grinder for a fun chip flying demo, ….and the apex …well he still is working on the tree….

Part Two

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
The color of that new growth is insane.
I made the camera focus on the dark bark and I think that caused the saturation to turn up on that last picture. The growth is very green but not as green in person as that photo implies.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was very lucky and found someone with a huge coastal property that graciously allowed for me to collect several Coast Redwoods. I spent 2 days walking their property and digging up trees that I liked. I collected the trees and potted them and plan on leaving them alone (other than watering) for a year to establish roots. So far it's been a bit over 2 months and they're all pushing lots of growth. I'm hoping they're pushing roots as well and that the growth isn't just stored energy in the trunk.

Here's a photo of the trees.
- The tree on the far right (in bonsai pot) was collected about 2 years ago but just happens to be in the photo.
- The (3) trees on the left side were collected from a property that was destroyed by California's Big Basin Fire in 2020. The root system and lower trunk was protected by the soil so the tree lived, but the main trunk is burnt black and I thought it might give a display some interesting character/story. They of course sprouted new growth after I dug them up and are doing well. Maybe I'll make a separate post about those trees.

View attachment 445847

The tree that I'm interested in discussing is the 2nd tree from the right (tree on the ground all the way to the right). Unlike other trees of this size it has really thick spongy bark all over it. Most of the others, with the exception of 1, have a thinner bark on them. From what I've seen the thicker bark doesn't show up on a tree until it's much larger/mature. I collected this tree when I saw the bark and thought it would be great for a natural looking formal upright. This tree is also pushing a ton of growth in all areas, so hopefully I have options for branch placement. Here are some photos of the bark which looks like it's a couple inches thick. It's spongy to the touch, similar to very large Coast Redwoods. The bark looks very dark in the photos because I recently watered the trees. When dry it has a nice red color to it.

View attachment 445853

View attachment 445854

The tree is 43" tall, 7.5" diameter at the base, and 3" diameter at the top cut. I actually have the tree turned to the left in the photos, since tree would have more taper if was turned 90 degrees. We're looking at what I believe will be the left side of the tree.

On to my questions:
1) Why haven't I seen any Coast Redwood bonsai with thick bark? I would think this is a desirable characteristic.
2) Is there anything about this tree that would make it poor bonsai material?
3) Once the tree gets to the 1 year mark I'll work on it. What would you do with the top flat cut? I was thinking I'd either carve it to a point (see the far right tree in the first pic) or use my large trunk splitter tool to peel bark from the top and give it some taper that way.

I left the tree tall with the thought that I could always shorten it in the future if I like. Ryan from Bonsai Mirai has a similarly tall Coast Redwood that I really like.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!
Absolutely stunning array of Coastal Redwoods, what a great collecting opportunity. Look forward to seeing some development.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I took a video of this tree to show the bark a bit better. This is 9 weeks after collecting the tree from a property in the Santa Cruz Mountains

Top Bottom