Collected coastal live oak

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have 'saved' a large CA live Oak from a trash pile: the tree was kept in a 24" box, maybe longer than a decade and left for dead. The tap root(s) have circumvented the perimeter of the square container and left me with a square root ball that is 'fortified' by large lignified roots.
The tree has put on healthy, almost vigorous new growth this season despite drought conditions and no care
I raked out some of the dry, old clay soil from the exterior - no live feeder roots found. I've set the tree in a kiddie pool for the last week, where it's been soaking the bottom 6" of it's massive root ball.

I live in Santa Cruz; winters are mild with brief 28F cold snaps in Feb.
Here's the question for the Oak Pro's, should I:
1. repot the tree as is, in a huge container - leaving the root ball as in it's compacted soil and wait for spring to work roots
Or
2. Defoliate and remove 1/3 root mass from bottom of root ball

Days are warm 55-80 with cool nights 55-65, the tree will get dappled light and have protection from sun and wind. The tree will likely have 4 months before any chance of freezing weather.
I have no idea how Coastal Live Oak responds to heavy root pruning, nor do I know the annual schedule of their root growth...

Was it wrong to let the root ball soak in standing water for a week? I've drained the water
Thanks in advance.
AFRAME

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Get it out of the kiddie pool ASAP. Feel how heavy it is and don't water it again until feels much lighter. I think a 20 min soak would have been sufficient unless you are dealing with a bald cypress or other water loving plant. If was showing signs of growth it would have been safe to do a gentle repot, but now that it has been treading water for days I think your best chance would be to slip pot it into the ground and wait untill you see much new growth before re-approaching the roots.
I don't really know California live oak, so o correct me if I am wrong, but I bet they are a drought tolerant species that hates wet feet.

Edit* looking at the picture on the link you really need to find someone local with experience collecting this species. I am still pretty sure getting it out of the water and into the ground is your best bet, but that is quite a specimen and it would be a shame to kill due to inexperience.

Last edited:

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Live Oak

Aframe, bring your tree to our meeting on 10/18. Santa Cruz Bonsai Kai, Live Oak Grange on 17th Ave @ 9:00am. I wouldn't leave the tree in standing water. Juan Cruz is doing the demo this month. So come join us.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Aframe, bring your tree to our meeting on 10/18. Santa Cruz Bonsai Kai, Live Oak Grange on 17th Ave @ 9:00am. I wouldn't leave the tree in standing water. Juan Cruz is doing the demo this month. So come join us.

Logan, I'd love to attend. Is there a meeting tonight as well?
I don't know if I'll be bringing this particular tree - it weighs well over 150lbs...and moving it will likely cause more damage/stress on the tree. I'd be happy to bring another - is there a species specific focus or topic of the 10/18 meeting?
thanks in advance
Aframe

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOW! That's a fortified root mass.:eek: And it's destined to be a pretty good sized tree as well. Above the roots it has an excellent base and is definitely worth saving. Have you considered that a good option MIGHT be an exposed root style? If it wasn't so heavy I'd volunteer to take it off your hands as I love oaks to begin with. I might be interested anyway if you want to part with it. It's gonna take some work and time to get that old bad dirt out of the base to see what you've actually got to work with. Not sure how this would layer but maybe a new root base could be developed. Now there's an idea.(as the light bulb comes on and I say to myself....) There's also a possibility you could get a bunch of oak seedlings and thread graft a new root system onto it. That has the plus of making it a lot lighter tree and you could just let the old roots down below grow as they are until the grafts were well developed.
AND if any of those lower roots could be untangled(with intact smaller roots)you could graft a seedling onto the root and have a nice crooked trunk from the root as a new tree. You could get several interesting trees from this one seemingly impossible one. I'd like to know what you decide to do.:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom