Collected cornus kousa May 2019

andrecf

Seed
Reaction score
I saved this tree from my wife last year. She hated where it was at in our yard and that it backbuds like crazy. It was a bit late to be collecting, so I didn't want to do too much...so I left the upper branch. I was planning on chopping the upper branch this year back to the main trunk.

Should I repot now or wait another year? It's in a ridiculously deep pot because that's all I had available. It probably weighs 80 pounds. If I repot, should I postpone the chop? I'd like to do both, because the pot is huge and ugly...and so is the upper branch.

There's another picture from the other side, but it wont attach.

Attachments

• 20200310_141743.jpg
    20200310_141743.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 62

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depends on where you live and how the tree did last year but I would make the chop now and repot it earlier next year. Since you just collected last year I would let it go another year.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd chop the big branch, wire key architecture, keep as many surplus and/or sacrifice branches as useful, and mess with roots next year. You have a primo stump with wire-able twigs in lots of places and this critter cries to be a potato with leaves for a very short period, graduating to a very nice short tree. You are a very lucky man. Give your wife a great big kiss!

andrecf

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I chopped the branch and I plan on wiring it this week. I think the scarred side will be the back. It was going to be the front.

Should I cut paste that new chop?

Attachments

• 20200310_165603.jpg
    20200310_165603.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 29

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I cut paste all the problematic trees. In my area Kousa is not a problem, but I generally do everything over about an inch diameter on general principle. I view large cut surfaces as an invitation to bugs that navigate with their nose and seek a nice place to live and eat, to say nothing of ever-present spores. I do this in-spite of the science that shows it doesn't heal any better or faster. My experience with Japanese Maple over many years tell me different.

Top Bottom