Collected Cotoneaster coming in to flower..

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi all

Here's a Cotoneaster that I collected (With permission) from a school that was being demolished, It had been derelict for some time and the playing fields had overgrown with shrubs and trees!, There was an excavator driver on the site that lifted them for us, We gave him a couple of pounds per tree he lifted with his bucket and everyone was happy, He went home with an extra few quid for his saturday night out!!!

Anyhow, This was a twin trunk when I brought it home, It lived in a wooden box from 2013 to 2017 with some major cutting done in 2016, The right hand trunk started dying this spring so I cut it off halfway and did some carving with my rotary tool, I actually wore a cutting tool out!!

The bottom right branch only started growing last year, I let it grow unchecked to get it to thicken up and stopped it a couple of weeks ago as it had come alomng nicely, It just needs to fill out a bit now.

I just love when the flowers start to open from what looks like little rosy red apples!!
puZje60.jpg
r2zT6fO.jpg
R66XK3p.jpg

Cheers, John 👍

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Magnificent! You had a great eye to save this from the landfill. It's coming along nicely.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s a beast. Nice score. Cotoneaster are wonderful as bonsai. All the perks of a pyracantha without the pesky thorns to deal with.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi all

Here's a Cotoneaster that I collected (With permission) from a school that was being demolished, It had been derelict for some time and the playing fields had overgrown with shrubs and trees!, There was an excavator driver on the site that lifted them for us, We gave him a couple of pounds per tree he lifted with his bucket and everyone was happy, He went home with an extra few quid for his saturday night out!!!

Anyhow, This was a twin trunk when I brought it home, It lived in a wooden box from 2013 to 2017 with some major cutting done in 2016, The right hand trunk started dying this spring so I cut it off halfway and did some carving with my rotary tool, I actually wore a cutting tool out!!

The bottom right branch only started growing last year, I let it grow unchecked to get it to thicken up and stopped it a couple of weeks ago as it had come alomng nicely, It just needs to fill out a bit now.

I just love when the flowers start to open from what looks like little rosy red apples!!
puZje60.jpg
r2zT6fO.jpg
R66XK3p.jpg

Cheers, John 👍

During that 2013 to 2017 initial period, did you repot or just let it be?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi all

puZje60.jpg
r2zT6fO.jpg
R66XK3p.jpg

Cheers, John 👍
Wow what a f*cking score …. that’s all.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
During that 2013 to 2017 initial period, did you repot or just let it be?
I left it in the box the whole time, When I removed the tree to put in the pot, The bottom of the box was rotten right through!!

This was the tree when I collected it, Had to make the box when I arrived home!

There was a large root/submerged branch that I had to accomodate so had to make the box 30" long, I eventually removed it as it would never have fitted a dish!!
bGt8GTj.jpg

The root that I removed with a £1 coin for an idea of size, The pound coin is 23.5mm-ish so around 15/16"
T72C7zW.jpg

The tree when i'd just put it in to the mica drum pot, The live veins were (Are!) down the rear of the tree..
IUDTHcx.jpg

Upon starting to carve it..
jXVGEkG.jpg

And the pot that it almost went in!
ezjO5UE.jpg

The carving was quite 'orrible i'm afraid! :rolleyes:
jgKla7G.jpg

Here's another Cotoneaster that I brought home at the same time, This one is weird with holes and a big root that comes from the side of the tree and makes what looks like another hole!!
61eEWV6.jpg

Cheers, John 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom